NEC Handbook

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
The current NEC 2017 Handbook is out now. It's a tax write off for you or something if asked.... work will buy for you. Wish I knew that back in 2003 in buying, reading to the best of my understanding, but like other books "Audels" "Americain Electrician's Handbook" amongst many books bought and read - never knew they were tax deductiable as with tools bought. Yes, it's over $180.00 and the full NEC normal is only like $100.00. NEC handbook explains the code to you. Obviously it's not osmosis.... you have to acatually sit down and read it, but well worth it. Worth the handbook version in explaining wiring and the why on code rules.

Buy the just NEC or a simplier version of it.. unless well versed in code it means little to nothing other than for what you already for the most part know. Buy a guide to the NEC, mostly it won't cover what you are interested in or need to know.

NEC Handbook explains the code. Study it... you won't understand everything you read but at least if the subject comes up at some point, you will remember reading something about it. Also years later in me buying the next handbook for me, I certainly know more than I knew back than. This future reading of the handbook will reinforce what I know, and educate me into what I'm ready to learn given a few more years in the field.

Were I going to buy a copy of the NEC and attempt to do my job in studying it, I would start, or start again in studying the handbook version of it.

At some point it really is your job to understand and know to the best of your ability the NEC. Start now in reading and educating yourself, there are experts and members on this website that can help you with questions you might have. Very important resource to have and study... Backstage Handbook is a dictionary for use... if lighting and planning to progress for career... NEC Handbook is the rules you shold know explained in educating. Audel's wiring books and American Electrician's Handbook also good reading.

Last edited:
I'd say similar about Life Safety Code handbook. Still, both of these may have some questionable explanations. The people that write these codes and standards and the handbooks are just people. And the basis for concepts that are rooted way back may not be as well understood as the presentation connotes. Never be afraid to be skeptical if it just seems wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back