Need 5 pin female to 4 pin male XLR

I have never worked with the I-Cue, but most accessories like that require a separate power supply which takes 5-pin in and 4-pin out to the devices.

Amanda, you're missing a piece. You need a power supply. From the rosco website.
The I-Cue requires a 24v power supply unit such as the Rosco PSU 50. A 4-pin XLR "scroller" cable is used to connect the PSU to the I-Cue. Multiple units may be "daisy chained" together, limited by cable length guidelines and wattage limitations of the PSU. The I-Cue draws a maximum continuous load of 17 watts. Many of the 24 volt power supply units offered by the major manufacturers of color scrollers will run the Rosco I-Cue. Here is a partial list of the scroller power supply units known to be compatible with the Rosco I-Cue: Wybron - Forerunner; Rainbow - Mini, Maxi and Micro; AC Lighting - Chroma Q and Christie Lites - Color Q.

http://www.rosco.com/lighting/icue.cfm

This said that it can either run with a standalone power supply or the DMX runs power and signal to it. I've got a power supply from my DMX iris units, but I'd like to keep those for that.

I'm not sure what they'd be getting at. A standard DMX line coming out of the board contains no power and these devices usually require somewhere around 24v. Maybe I'm just not understanding the setup correctly.

Edit: Posted simultaneously with the above post.

I suspect that "stand alone mode" is some kind of demo or preprogrammed effect. For when you've got a power supply but with out DMX.

Yep, just found it:

From Rosco's site:
Stand Alone Mode
For installations where DMX control is not available, simple repetitive motions can be programmed directly into the I-Cue. See I-Cue Operation Manual for details. In addition, all units come with a pre-programmed "chase sequence" for either self testing the unit without the presence of a DMX signal or for when you want random non-DMX moving light effects(commonly referred to as a "Ballyhoo"). To put the unit into demo mode simply set the DMX address to 600.

Then I guess I'm confused on why it didn't come with a supply. This is from the manual

"The I-cue mirror utilizes an XLR 4-pin cable system. IN DMX mode, this is used to supply power and data transfer. Pins 1 and 4 are supplying 24V DC power. Pins 2 and 3 supply USITT DMX512 control protocol. For use in "stand alone" mode the unit requires 24V DC connectde to pins"
It doesn't come with a power supply for the same reason that scrollers and other accessories don't come with a power supply. Depending on what power supplies you have for your iris units, you can daisy chain irises or and iris and mirror unit.

So it would just be better to get an additional power supply, than look for some sort of adapter?

http://www.filmandvideolighting.com...4l1pkZApdPx0VU4dB_7Ea8wTKP5PEblmD4aAu8c8P8HAQ

The PSU-50 will work for your two I-Cues and is probably the cheapest solution. I'm sure you could find a 5-pin XLR -> 4-pin XLR adapter but then you'd only get signal to your I-Cues. Without the 24v power, they still wouldn't operate. "Standalone Mode" infers that you don't need a console. You need the power supply no matter what.

The wording definitely could have been better!

The full section from the manual is
The I-Cue Mirror utilizes an XLR 4-pin cable system.
In DMX mode, this is used to supply power and data transfer. Pins 1 and 4 are supply
24V DC power. Pins 2 and 3 supply USITT 1990 DMX512 control protocol, with a
ground/drain wire to the connector shell.
For use in ‘Stand-alone’mode, the unit requires a suitable 24V DC connected to Pins
1 and 4, with a ground/drain wire to the connector shell (not required, but suggested).
and later on (page 8) it describes stand-alone mode and how to program it.

Standalone mode allows you to use any suitable 24VDC supply for power; they are commonly used with architectural LED lighting.

/mike

This is an I-Cue ?, correct ?

Can somebody explain to me what stand-alone mode -I.E. no DMX, is used for ?.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back