Need a 6' high "Jesus-lift"

I have a set I'm working on that requires an actor (Jesus) to come smoothly straight up from behind a 6' platform. I would use stairs for this, however we only have 2' behind the platform to work with. (Director wants the front curtain closed.) So I need a way to lift the person straight up. I was thinking pulley system with an electric winch stowed below the platform and a trapdoor through which he appears. Sort of a world's smallest elevator idea. Wanted to know if anyone's done this before, and if there's a better way to do it.

Thanks,
Trevor

How about a ladder? Enough practice and you would be able to get something pretty convincing, with a lot less risk of something going horribly wrong, not to mention a much better price tag.

The only way for you to really do this safely is to use a hydrolic platform scissor lift. They come in multiple sizes. I know EDG in South Cobb has one that they will rent. If they don't, PM me and I might be able to point you in the direction of another one.

Don't try to fabricate something to do this. 6' is a long way when you are lifting 150-200 lbs.

Let me see if I have this straight. There is a 6' tall platform in front of the front curtain, with 2' between the back of the platform and the curtain. Yes???? There are still far too many questions to answer before we can start to answer you.

Is the gimmick on stage all the time or does it have to be set and struck during the show? If set and struck, how? how much time? how many crew available? How does Jesus get down from the platform?

Budget? Time to build? Shop capability? build crew capability?

In your area, Scott Parker has a long time association with High School Tech theatre. Contact him and see if he might be able to offer some advice.

Scott C. Parker
Lighting Designer/Technical Director
Scott C. Parker
Georgia & New York City

[email protected]

Stage Seminars, Stage Lighting Super Saturday. Also the home of HSTech

This is not THAT difficult. you are talking about a realtivly controlled acess area. and it sounds like you have enough room. I'd take a look at Parker, Smith and Wolf's book, Scene Design & Stage Lighting. Every addition they have puiblished has had an example of an 'Elevator stage'. If you stay within the parameters described in the text, and follow thier safety procedures you should accomplish this with realtive ease..... IF you have the skills materials and proper safety procedures.

What about a manually operated scissor lift cart?

proxy.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back