Need a connector for a particular use.

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
Ok. Here's he situation. I have a string of LED Christmas lights that live on a piece of set dressing that has to be split in two to store. What I want to do is put a connector in the middle of the string that can be easily plugged/unplugged by a stagehand, on the smaller side, and able to survive a 5 week run. I don't want to use tiny twist, or anything that twists for that matter. A regular NEMA 5-15 or 2P&G was suggested but i don't want anything common like that.

So all I need is a quick connecting/disconnecting less-than-common three contact connector. Easy, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

How quick is quick? And how often? How many wires?

It's used in one scene. So one connect and one disconnect per show. But it's one of those shows with lots of scenes and locations.

The quicker/easier the better.

if it is line voltage, why not use a standard edison arrangement?

Because I'm splitting a string of LED Christmas lights where it isn't meant to be split, and I don't want the second half of the string to get fried if the two sections get mixed up.

There's only single pole so you'd have to get one per conductor and color code the conductors and connector nicely, but WAGO Service Connectors might be a good option because they're small are really quick and easy to connect/disconnect. Also they're really cheap.

proxy.php

You squeeze one side and the conductor slides in or out. You let go and it's pretty securely held in place. UL Listed to 300V and 20A. They work best with ferrules but work fine with bare copper.

They're also just really nice to have around the shop when prototyping wiring.

There are a variety of "Ballast Disconnects" as they are commonly called that would work great! Like the Thomas&Betts LD2 (LD2C canadian version) or Ideal's "PowerPlug" 102 or 182. Ratings vary greatly, as some are for 120V and others for 347V (in North America) and usually at least 6A.

Second vote for anderson power pole. It's worth buying the ratcheting crimper (which is an investment) but then it's a pretty unbeatable way to make quick disconnects of varying scales. I've used it for a twelve circuit platform before that had to join at center in a very fast transition.

We're starting out with the trailer light connector, but since there are three connections that have to be made, I'm keeping these other products in mind if I have to make a custom connector for all three circuits.

We're starting out with the trailer light connector, but since there are three connections that have to be made, I'm keeping these other products in mind if I have to make a custom connector for all three circuits.

Keep in mind those are not rated above 24 volts...

Are Christmas lights UL listed by the entire strand? (Pulling a bit from another thread, but also curious since I can conceivably see having to do something like this myself in the future) Wouldn't modifying it in this manner void the listing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back