Need a Connector

bobgaggle

Maybe this should go in the off topic section, but I need help finding a connector. I'm whipping up a home brew temperature and humidity controller for a curing chamber I'm making (going to try to ferment some salami/prosciutto etc). To make this thing professional-ish, I need to find a 3 pin connector, the female side being panel mounted. Temperature probes/thermocouples have their own connector for this application. Like this one,
upload_2019-9-19_16-17-4.png

But the humidity probe has three wires and I can't seem to find a 'standard' connector for it. Any thoughts?

Well, there always the connector that every other industry in the world uses sooner or later for 3 conductors --- XLR

Yeah I considered that. Seemed a bit excessive given the wire size on the probe. Looking for a lightweight plastic thing...
View attachment 18489
@bobgaggle Perhaps Plugable Euroblocks, available in any size from two poles to at least 12 or so and you can cut them down to any specific number in between. Too many variations to chat about; Contact centre to centre distances, conductor sizes accepted, colors, yada, yada. You'd have to look them over to see if they're to your liking. They're manufactured by at least four companies and usually available through electrical and electronic parts distributors. They'd be very light weight in a 3 pole configuration. Various means of clamps for cable jackets have been conjured.
EDIT: (Link to images added) https://www.google.com/search?sourc...hUKEwivoO-y8d3kAhUMn-AKHXD6BwUQ4dUDCAg&uact=5

@FMEng or @Ancient Engineer @TimMc Have you any thoughts??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
There are many, many options available. XLR, mini-XLR, RJ11, 1/4" or 1/8" TRS, DIN, mini-DIN, and Phoenix/euroblock, among many others, are all pretty easy to find and have three or four contacts (or at least versions with three or four contacts).

RJ11 (i.e. phone cord plugs) might be a good option if you don't need sealing or particularly great strength or super frequent insertion/removal. Crimper tools are easy to find, inexpensive, and quite straightforward to use.

My favorite small connector would be these JST SM connectors, they are small, light, have a durable locking mech, and are cheap. heres some pigtails from Amazon, and heres some on Digikey, of course you can get them at whatever your favorite electronics wholesaler is.

You can use a pretty standard crimping tool for these, and if you use the pigtails no crimping is required.
proxy.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back