Need a Powered 8" monitor

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
I have a set of big JBL 12" ad 15" monitors we use for stage mixes with big bands. But, I'm looking for a smaller powered stage monitor for things like school talent shows where I don't need a ton of volume, just a little sound right there for a soloist to sing to a track. So I'm considering things like the EV ZXA1, QSC CP8 and the Yamaha DXR8.... open to others if there's something else you really like in that $400-$500 price range. What sounds best? What is the most durable? Love any thoughts you have on what's the best in this group of speakers. Thanks!

I like the DXR series. The 8's, 10's and 12's were half the stock of powered speakers for the rental house I was at (the other half being the same sizes QSC K line). They got rained on, beat up, thrown around, blasted by every dj, party boy who needed a cheap PA rental, and they took everything we through at them with very little need for repairs ever. They sound decent and got used a lot. The QSC k8's sounded better, were equally durable and put out a bunch of sound, but also run a little closer to $650

I've used the ZX1 a bit (the passive version of the ZX1A). They sound and look nice, and appear to be decently sturdy. There is not much bass and even less really low bass. The built-in handle cutout is handy.

I have no experience with it--I don't think I've ever seen one in person, to be honest--but the dBTechnologies Flexsys FM8 looks impressive to me on paper and in the (quite sparse) reviews.

The Yamaha DXR/DSR/DZR get a lot of love over in the Live Audio Board Lounge forum at ProSoundweb.

Not an 8" but Behringer has a little powered monitor that I've spec'd on a couple jobs. It's small enough to mount on a mic stand, but doubles as an input source for your mp3 players and whatnot. I think it was their Eurolive and I think there's bigger wedge versions IIRC.

Powered K8's are ridiculously nice sounding for the size. Except as a monitor they're obnoxious because they don't have a way to set them sideways at an angle.

Powered K8's are ridiculously nice sounding for the size. Except as a monitor they're obnoxious because they don't have a way to set them sideways at an angle.

The new K8.2's have fixed that.

proxy.php

Thanks guys! I'm going to go with the DXR8. The budget is a little too tight for a K8.2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back