Need a remote douser ?

Without wishing to make life too simple, has anyone considered buying a cheap dmx lighting effect for around $50 then using the components to make the dowser.this would seem to be much easier than the options so far.

Actually this project is rather easy and cheaper than $50. The original was built because they didnt have the money to even buy a $50 lighting effect to cannabilize. But they did have the rest of the parts lieing around the shop to make the CD Dowser.

yes but not dmx.

Well I looked for it here and didn't see it. Rats. I may keep going anyway. I'm tenacious that way.

While I'm late arriving to this thread, it just would feel so good to taunt Van about using the search function. Furthermore the fact that the "OSHA Kid" beat him to it makes this even more intriguing. But alas it's just been too long to get in a good shot along these lines. So I'm going to bed instead. :mrgreen:

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think the Chauvet unit would be appropriate for dousing a projector. And I know of very few professional strobes that use a 0-10v input as a trigger. There must be some purpose for it, or they wouldn't make it, but I can't think of a good use.

I just got through doing "Closer" at my theatre, and had an interesting time with that same problem. The projector had to be used in the "chat room" scene, as it was the only action for the scene, and we had it on a gray/white wall on the set, glowing like glowtape, even on "black".

I found a chunk of masonite on the shop floor, drilled a couple holes in it, put one screw through it into the projector shelf as a pivot, put another screw in the shelf as a stop point for the "shutter" to rest on in closed position, and tied about 50 feet of string to it, up and over a couple pulleys, nails (not screws) and unused dead-hung light pipe.

The end of it terminated in side-of-house wing space. I put two screws close together on the back of the wall, and tied another screw to the string, so that all I needed was a stagehand on cue to pull the string about six inches and slip the screw+string under the other two screws for it to stay open, then when the scene was done, lift it out and let it hang free. The shutter rested back onto the other screw, and no one was the wiser. I had a black screen on prior to and after the scene, so there wasn't any spill light to speak of, and heat wasn't an issue as the projector ventilation was unobstructed and the masonite shutter was never in front of anything but "black".

I said little prayers to MacGyver and Rube Goldberg, as it lasted the whole three week run.

Very inventive, leistico. In Las Vegas, we would have found a way to make it hydraulic, and controlled by a PLC, with a dedicated operator, as well as a spotter, on a "deadman switch".

And it would have gone over budget.
Never enough money to do it right the first time, but always enough to redo it.

It's not done until it's been rebuilt four times.

(Certain phrases I've learned from a particular company in the desert.)

Never enough money to do it right the first time, but always enough to redo it.

It's not done until it's been rebuilt four times.

(Certain phrases I've learned from a particular company in the desert.)

"Why have one when you can have two at twice the price?"

"Why have one when you can have two at twice the price?"

Especially since you need to have a spare for the over engineered piece that will never fail and if it does there will be no way to replace it until you have time to repair it anyway!

On a serious note, I used an old servo from my RC car days and a USB servo controller from Phidgets to swing a "lollypop" of a big juice can lid soldered to a brass bar mounted to the servo. It took 20 minutes to whip up a Delphi program to have a green (open) and red (closed) button on the lighting computer to swing the douser in and out. If anybody wants the program, send me a note.

My former boss created a projector douser out of one of our spare wybron forerunners and some black wrap. Since it worked so well we now have 2. We use it on every show that has projections. I have to resize some images but I'll post them later. Promise!

I just finished building a douser that is being used in our current show. I used a DMX to servo board that I purchased from Northlight DMX products in Tempe, AZ $49 and shipping and a $12 servo from some online hobby store. The board can operate up to 8 servos and can be either DMX or 1-10vdc analog. I cut a piece of lollypop shaped plastic out of the bottom of an old Makita case, and attached to a round servo horn. Put it all in a project box and gaff taped it to the top of the projector. I made mine to last in a metal project box from mpja.com, but a platic box from radio shack will also work. I used pomona 5 pin xlrs from Mouser.com and built the basic power supply with a Radio Shack transformer and components. The whole thing cost me about $80, but it every bit as good if not better built than the City Theatrical unit. You can find Northlight DMX with a google search. James the owner is incredible at answering questions and service. He has many other products for DMX that can be used in the theater, but keep in mind that his products are just boards. You still have to do the mounting and connectors.

I like eveybodies responses, but remember I built mine in under 45 minutes, and it cost me nothing.

"It's Crap!"
"The parts are crap, but you put 'em together and you got yourself a firefly."

Out TD just hacked apart 4 or 5 CD drives to make the two dousers we're using. Overall, the concept is good, but I have two complaints. First, they're pretty loud, especially for our small theatre. I'm not sure if it's due to the fact that he gutted most of the original circuit boards, or something else. The second is, one of the drives gears will grind if the switch is pressed for too long. And it's hard for our PSM to tell if she's pressed it enough sometimes, since she's so far removed from it. Overall, it was a very cheap solution to our problem, but sometimes cheap isn't better. I'm wondering how easy it would be to build sometime similar to the City Theatrical douser. It doesn't have to be DMX controlled, just a on/off switch for someone to operate. I'm not too familiar with electronics in this capacity, so I'm not sure where to start. Is there a certain type of motor that should be used? Does it need some sort of circuit board to tell it how far to go forwards and backwards. I don't want to spend $250 for one of these, but it seems like it shouldn't cost too much. I've seen the DMX controlled ones that many of you are building, is that the best way to go? I guess I need to beef up on my DMX knowledge.

Here is another twist. I found this cool little device that converts DMX (1990) to a ordinary DC servo control, like the ones used in RC hobbies:
DMX512 to RC servo controller.
You supply the power supply, one of those little radio shack project boxes, the servo, some hot glue and black foamcore and maybe some sticky velcro to mount and you have a much less expensive version of the City Theatrical shutter. The advantage of this over the CD drawer/relay is that you can control the speed of the douse as the channel level/servo throw is written into the fade cue.

Cheers,
Mark Sell
TD and other hats

Users who are viewing this thread

Back