Need Advice on LEDs: Elation QA equivalent

Bagofbones

Hello,

I have 8 Elation QA Opti Pars, but they have been discontinued. Does anyone know what a comparable fixture to the QA Opti Pars are from Elation? I see the SIXPAR 200, but I am not sure if it will fit my needs. Thanks for the help.

I think from elation that's about as close as you'll get. For a while they had the ePars, but it looks like those have been discontinued, too...

I see the SIXPAR 200, but I am not sure if it will fit my needs. Thanks for the help.

What are your needs?

I have used the Sixpar 200 as toning and color wash instruments for theatrical productions and they were pretty solid.

Last edited:
In a similar boat. I'm actually looking at the Chauvet Colordash quads.

What are your needs?

I have used the Sixpar 200 as toning and color wash instruments for theatrical productions and they were pretty solid.

Thank you all for your responses. I used my Opti QAs for washes and visible lighting. We were in an old proscenium (built in the 40s), and since the EPA discontinued the bulbs in the fixtures there--and everything else was so hot it threw breakers--we had to purchase the Opti QAs to get by. I liked them a lot. The SIXPAR 200 is the closest thing I could find spec wise, but I wanted to ask some experts just to be sure. Thanks again!

Looks like there are a few EPAR's still out there:

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/219143-Elation-Pro-Lighting-EPAR-QA

But the SIXPAR is a very nice fixture as well if you have the budget

Because it is for a school, they won't let me purchase anything that is discontinued, though after looking at the prices, they could save a ton of money. The designer from the architectural firm (who shouldn't have included the lighting in the job, but rather should have out sourced it like they did with sound), put up architectural lighting. Since he bought Miro Cubes originally--these are what I am looking for pars to replace--I don't think cost should be an issue. The SIXPAR 200 is listed at $499. The Miro Cubes they currently have up are listed at $800. Has anyone ever seen Miro Cubes used outside of architectural lighting?

For that price, I might look at ETC's Color Source Par fixtures.

For that price, I might look at ETC's Color Source Par fixtures.
... or other options from Chauvet, Elation, or whatever generic LED your local dealer likes to sell. $800 is a pretty steep rate to be paying these days for just some basic architectural wash lights.

I'm curious about your old incandescents. There is no ban on stage lighting incandescents (in the USA) but old lamps can be hard to find.

The Elation EPAR QA and QW are still available and heavily discounted at the moment. Contact your local theatrical supply store. Or try Hollywood Lights, based in Oregon, but they will drop ship to you.

The Miro Cubes they currently have up are listed at $800. Has anyone ever seen Miro Cubes used outside of architectural lighting?
Here's a recent article about a new Broadway show (School of Rock) using them (see gear list at end, 20 Rosco Miro Cube 4C RGBW):
http://plsn.com/current-issue/73-inside-theatre/19208-lighting-broadway-s-school-of-rock.html
There's been lots of theatrical applications.. One of the higher profile jobs was Michael Jacksons "One" show in Vegas.. they have like 230 Miros on the show:
www.meyersound.com/news/in_media/2013_LSA_MJ_One_Nov.pdf
Full disclosure, I'm from Black Tank, the company that designed the Miro Cubes. Let me know if I can help.

Here's a recent article about a new Broadway show (School of Rock) using them (see gear list at end, 20 Rosco Miro Cube 4C RGBW):
http://plsn.com/current-issue/73-inside-theatre/19208-lighting-broadway-s-school-of-rock.html
There's been lots of theatrical applications.. One of the higher profile jobs was Michael Jacksons "One" show in Vegas.. they have like 230 Miros on the show:
www.meyersound.com/news/in_media/2013_LSA_MJ_One_Nov.pdf
Full disclosure, I'm from Black Tank, the company that designed the Miro Cubes. Let me know if I can help.

THANK YOU for the links. It looks like we are keeping the Miro Cubes and getting an ETC console to operate them. We are augmenting the system with my on-hand Opti-Pars, which will primarily be used to light my cyc. The only thing that I am not too happy about right now is that I cannot plug my Opti-Pars into the Rosco track, but we've got a team coming next week to run separate DMX for them.

Rosco makes an adapter that looks very useful.
upload_2016-4-19_13-58-53.png

Rosco makes an adapter that looks very useful.
View attachment 13232

This adapter is what is currently on my Miro Cubes. According to Barbizon, the company who is coming in to reformat the current configuration so that I can A) patch my Opti Pars into the system and B) allow me to run DMX from my controller as well as allow others to use the Creston panel to operate the fixtures for simple events, I cannot get adapters for my Opti Pars to plug into the tracks. They said it was an effort by Rosco to make the track proprietary so that people wouldn't purchase their tracks but not their fixtures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back