Wireless Need advice on wireless handhelds

nick_fouts

My school has a pair of Shure SM58 heads on UT2 wireless bases. The UT2 transmitters are both in the newly restricted 600MHz frequency range, so we can no longer use these mics—to my knowledge.
:legalstuff:

Does anyone know about the possibility of just purchasing new transmitter or hardwired XLR bases and keeping the SM58 heads? Can they be repurposed in a new setup, even as wired mics? I’d hate to get rid of them as we use them frequently and the grilles are *surprisingly* not dented :p

If anyone can suggest specific part model numbers that could work, that would be amazing!

Thanks for your time :)

Many models of Shure handhelds have interchangeable capsules, so you can remove them to save if you like.
Most likely, however, when you purchase something new, they will come with capsules and the only possible cheaper option would be the PG58, and I believe those models of wireless HH aren't interchangeable.

Hi Nick,

I don't believe Shure sells wireless handheld transmitters without the capsule. However, you should be able to save and re-purpose the existing capsules if you'd like (or even just the windscreen). You might take a look at the SLX or QLX-D series if you'd like new handhelds with replaceable capsules. BLX capsules are not interchangeable. To my knowledge, you can't adapt the wireless SM58 capsules for wired use with an off-the-shelf part.

There are sveral plug-on wireless adapters (not going to use the slang term they are called) that plugs into the bottom of a traditional handheld. Might stretch your dollar until you can replace your exitsing wireless inventory. Shure makes one, as does Senni, Rhode, and Audio-Technica.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ZT8SF2/?tag=controlbooth-20
This won't save you any money. A new SLX transmitter only costs ~$225 rather than $350. You'll need a new receiver either way, too.

Does anyone know about the possibility of just purchasing new transmitter or hardwired XLR bases and keeping the SM58 heads? Can they be repurposed in a new setup, even as wired mics? I’d hate to get rid of them as we use them frequently and the grilles are *surprisingly* not dented :p

If anyone can suggest specific part model numbers that could work, that would be amazing!

Audio Technica sells a wireless system sans capsules for this very purpose. Contact you local AT dealer and ask them about it. I don't have the SKU in front of me or I could give you some better info about it.

My school has a pair of Shure SM58 heads on UT2 wireless bases. The UT2 transmitters are both in the newly restricted 600MHz frequency range, so we can no longer use these mics—to my knowledge.
:legalstuff:

Map of T Mobile 600mHz deployment https://goo.gl/maps/d51MKdBxbRP2 When they light up, you're done.

The SM-58 capsules are about $100, new. You cannot use the wireless version to create a wired SM-58 without some machining and metal work. A new wired SM-58 is $120.

If you replace your existing Shure systems with new Shure products there's a good chance your SM-58 capsules will work; consider them spares, or order SM-86 capsules with your new systems and put the SM-58 capsules on them when you want the more rugged capsule. You can email or call Shure's application support group and they can advise which hand held transmitters accept specific versions of mic capsules. You can order through any authorized Shure dealer.

More info on 600mHz roll out at Live Audio Board/ProSound Web: https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,164023.0.html

Interesting... T-Mobile no longer has Tampa even on their list?

I'm particularly concerned because we rent them our roof. :)

From our Well Grounded Irony Dept files: the roof of the AT&T building in downtown Wichita, KS is the antenna site for..... Verizon. I don't think there is an active ATT license for that location.

From our Well Grounded Irony Dept files: the roof of the AT&T building in downtown Wichita, KS is the antenna site for..... Verizon. I don't think there is an active ATT license for that location.
That is HILARIOUS! Here there is basically only two companies with widespread infrastructure of their own, Bell Canada and Rogers. Almost all of the other providers rent access on the Bell or Rogers towers. It's just too expensive to do otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back