Need any help and tips possible.

So basically I'm a sophomore in high school and our lighting guy just left. I have now been thrown behind the wheel with two weeks until our spring play seusical opens. Any help or tips would be great. I have done basic lighting control and know how to program our board but As far as designing the lighting and all of that I am clueless.

I not familiar with Sussical so I'm no help there. I always start with the McCandless Method add some back light and downlight, maybe double up on the cross lights and/or add sidelights. I'm in a similar situation although I've been to college for lighting just haven't done any in 5 years and it was 3 1/2 weeks out. I did volunteer to help though and was basically given control over the whole design immediately because the director has also had to do the lights the last 2 years and had to run the sho off the subs because there wasn't time to program.

So I have the backlight down and sadly have no control over where the lights are placed only where they face. would a rough sketch of this help at all?

A sketch couldn't hurt

I don't do any serious design work, I'm mostly an audio guy, but I usually approach a basic musical or dance program with a zoning plan. Divide the stage into zones, say 3 across the front and 2 in the back. Allot of this will depend on the sets. Basically divide the stage into areas of isolation. Acomplish lighting these areas however you see fit, top light front light ect. Then worry about specials, cyc lights, ect. That's my quick and dirty approach to lighting a stage, and while not being pretty or perfect it gets photons on stage so aunt jean can see little suzie sing and dance.

I would recommend starting with some 101 theory, which is probably best gotten from an entry-level college textbook. This will introduce you to the basic types of lighting instruments and their best uses, as well as a basic thought process for organizing your design, both artistically and technically. I know you're short on time, but an afternoon in the public library, if you have a good one, will save you time in the long run. Unfortunately, I'm a little far removed from the college world to have any to suggest specifically--anyone?

You should also search here and the internet at large for the McCandless Method (as mentioned above). It is pretty much the default starting point of a lighting design, at least until one has enough experience to know when to break the rules.

I would recommend starting with some 101 theory, which is probably best gotten from an entry-level college textbook. This will introduce you to the basic types of lighting instruments and their best uses, as well as a basic thought process for organizing your design, both artistically and technically. I know you're short on time, but an afternoon in the public library, if you have a good one, will save you time in the long run. Unfortunately, I'm a little far removed from the college world to have any to suggest specifically--anyone?

You should also search here and the internet at largefor the McCandless Method (as mentioned above). It is pretty much the default starting point of a lighting design, at least until one has enough experience to know when to break the rules.

My recommendation for intro lighting design books would be "Designing with Light" by J. Michael Gillette.

If you are working in a space where all you can do is focus the lights but not move them around (known as a "rep plot") then you have a different set of hurdles to jump compared to completely designing your own plot. With any design though, you should start by reading the script, listening to the music (for musicals or dance shows), watching a couple rehearsals, and talking to the director and set designer about their visions for the show. When you read and listen to the show, think about how it makes you feel and think about how lighting could evoke that feeling. The fun thing about Suessical is that there is really no right or wrong answer to how it gets designed. It is totally made up fantasy! Just remember that the most important rule, especially in academic theatre, is that you have to be able to see the actors faces! Some people will say you have to be able to see the actors, but it is really their faces that count!

Since you are working on a rep plot, the only real choices you can make are color and focus. So you will want to pick colors that work with the set and costume designs as well as create the feeling you want. You don't want to pick a color that makes all the costumes look like mud, that would be a bummer. Then, as people have said, you probably want to divide the stage up into areas and then focus lights to each area. Traditionally that would be some form of front, sides, and back/top light. If you have enough units, you may do each area in multiple colors, or you may choose to use some units for broader washes.

That's kind of the super short and sweet way it works. Basically you just need to jump in and see what works for you and the show and learn from it.

If you are working in a space where all you can do is focus the lights but not move them around (known as a "rep plot") then you have a different set of hurdles to jump compared to completely designing your own plot. With any design though, you should start by reading the script, listening to the music (for musicals or dance shows), watching a couple rehearsals, and talking to the director and set designer about their visions for the show. When you read and listen to the show, think about how it makes you feel and think about how lighting could evoke that feeling. The fun thing about Suessical is that there is really no right or wrong answer to how it gets designed. It is totally made up fantasy! Just remember that the most important rule, especially in academic theatre, is that you have to be able to see the actors faces! Some people will say you have to be able to see the actors, but it is really their faces that count!

Since you are working on a rep plot, the only real choices you can make are color and focus. So you will want to pick colors that work with the set and costume designs as well as create the feeling you want. You don't want to pick a color that makes all the costumes look like mud, that would be a bummer. Then, as people have said, you probably want to divide the stage up into areas and then focus lights to each area. Traditionally that would be some form of front, sides, and back/top light. If you have enough units, you may do each area in multiple colors, or you may choose to use some units for broader washes.

That's kind of the super short and sweet way it works. Basically you just need to jump in and see what works for you and the show and learn from it.

I can rotate the lights unless that what you meant by focus. And I may not be having as much trouble if the director or stage manager had any input at all. Basically they said here is what you've got. We can get you a few new sheets of gel if you need it. Go for it.

Here is that basic diagram I spoke of. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362605262.781993.jpg

The numbers are the dimmer channels as this is also for my personal use.

I can rotate the lights unless that what you meant by focus.
yes that is called focusing. You are shifting the focus of the light from one place to another, or you could actually be focusing it so that it has a hard or soft edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back