Need ETC L86-2400 power cube (SSR) specs.

NeenahTD

I work in an older facility (built 1973) that still has the original dimmer rack, an ETC L86 with some 2400 and some 2400i modules. Over the course of time, some of the power cubes (ssr/scr) have failed and need to be replaced. I am looking for replacement cube's as I plan to do the repair myself, but I am having a hard time finding definitive documentation on what the requirement specs are for the cube. My first thought was to look at one of our existing cubes and just buy another one, but I have so far found 3 different cubes being used and each has a slightly different spec listed on it (found one from Crouzet that says 24-280 VAC & 4-15 VDC, one from Douglas Randall says 20-300 VAC & 3-15 VDC, one from Silicon Power Cube says 120/240V & 4-15). I also found one online from Crydom which, of course, is also different. My initial assumption is that any of these would work, but I'm concerned because the previous TD had a habit of cutting corners and buying things that are close but not quit right because they're cheaper.

So my first question is, which one of these cubes is the correct one? I've poured over ETC's website for the answer and can only find that the original part number was Q116 (later replaced by Q119) which of course is no longer available from ETC :(. I've also searched CB and have found related articles but nothing that had the specific info I need, thus the question. Pre-emptory apologies if this is already posted somewhere and I'm just blind/stupid/both.

Next question, If my original assumption was correct and I can use any of these cubes, which one would everyone suggest as the best? Obviously performance is not much of a factor but does one last longer? Is one made by a better company? (of course Silicon Power Cube is out since they no longer exist)

Last question, I live pretty far away from any major theatrical suppliers so I will order these online. Does anyone have suggestions for a reputable, competitively priced company that sells power cubes online?

Thanks much for any help.

I'm pretty sure Footer is right on this one. In a former life I had charge of an impressive pile of CD-80 packs and used to sub-rent L-86 touring racks from some folks up the road. I'm fairly sure on a couple occasions I changed out a bum L-86 cube with a Strand spec Croydon cube, and had no problem.
And by the way, if the facility was built in 1973 that L-86 is not the original rack, must be a replacement for something............

...I've poured over ETC's website for the answer and can only find that the original part number was Q116 (later replaced by Q119) which of course is no longer available from ETC :(. ...
I find it difficult to believe that ETC does not sell these, although the price will likely be better just about anywhere else.

Last time I had to do this was ~1994. I believe I used the Crydom model pictured in the wiki entry SSR, bought from Mouser, Applied, Newark, or similar. One thing ETC told me: Make sure you scrape off all the old heat sink compound, and use ALL of the new tube that comes with each cube (at least it used to).

Funny.... My training in this( from Joel Epstein, late of Strand ) was that the coating of heat sink compound was supposed to be as thin as possible and yet still be a coating. " Measured in microns " is the phrase that hangs in mind, pushing thirty years later.......

Last edited:
Funny.... My training in this( from Joel Epstein, late of Stand ) was that the coating of heat sink compound was supposed to be as thin as possible and yet still be a coating. " Measured in microns " is the phrase that hangs in mind, pushing thirty years later.......
Clarification: Use the whole tube to thoroughly coat the bottom of the SSR, then when you tighten the bolts holding the SSR in place, all of the squeeze-out can be discarded (not unlike plumbers putty when installing a drain tail piece onto a sink). Short answer: You should end with approximately the same amount as that which came from the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back