Need help choosing a CYC light

John Noah

Hello fellow booth guys. Need help choosing some CYC lights. CYC area is 25ft tall by 36 ft wide. I saw the Chroma Q color force 2 and I loved the performance but not the price. I am wondering what can give me close to the same light output performance without destroying the whole budget for lighting?

This unit from Chauvet has received a lot of love from multiple users here including @gafftaper .
Ovation B-2805FC Batten-Style Wash Light | CHAUVET Professional
You might also consider this one from ETC.
ColorSource CYC (etcconnect.com)
As always for a major purchase like this, get a demo in your space.
Yep, I love my Chauvet B2805FC's. They are amazing, but unnecessarily bright for most things I do. I have them in a continuous strip with no gaps across the cyc which does allow some fantastic gradient fades and I rarely turn them up over 40%. It's fantastic when I want to do a really strong silhouette effect, or use my cyc as a blinder. If your budget is tight, you might consider buying the mid size 4' model the B-1965FC with something like 2' gaps between fixtures. So with 36' wide and top mount only, you could use 6 of the larger B2805's or my guess is that 7 of the B-1965's with 2' between fixtures would still have plenty of pop.

@Ford does my idea of 7 B-1965's over 36 feet make sense to you?

If you are interested in going with a top and bottom row, then the ETC Colorsource Cyc and the Chauvet 1FC would be good choices to consider. But 25' tall is a lot for these two fixtures to do with only a top row.

Last edited:
Sorry forgot to mention that I was only doing a top row, no ground row.
Does the B2805FC punch harder than the B1965? I was in the demo room and saw the 1965 and had wished that it was a little stronger vertically for my taste, this was almost 3 years back I believe though.

Sorry forgot to mention that I was only doing a top row, no ground row.
Does the B2805FC punch harder than the B1965? I was in the demo room and saw the 1965 and had wished that it was a little stronger vertically for my taste, this was almost 3 years back I believe though.
I believe all three models of Ovation Batten fixtures are exactly the same in terms of components, it's purely a matter of how many cells per fixture (@Ford is that correct?). My stage is 42' wide and my cyc is 20' high. I have 7 of the almost 6' long 2805FC's end to end all the way across my cyc. It's spectacular. When I go full power, that cyc goes BAM!!! Like, I said I typically use them at less than 40% and I believe you could easily get away with smaller fixtures with space between. I never expected that I would have a legitimate use for cyc lights at 2% or 3%, but I do that all the time during the dark scenes.

But all of that said, if your budget allows for continuous coverage with the 2805's go for it, you will NOT be disappointed in the kick. They are BRIGHT and colorful. I love using them with dance shows to do amazing colorful silhouette effects. Or When you want to have a "triumphant" moment in your show design all white on the cyc with the intensity cranked up high really kicks.

@gafftaper , how exactly do you have your B2805s focused? How far are they from your Cyc? Are you using the color blending diffuser?

In terms of components… all of the Ovation FC (full color) fixtures have the same colors of RGBA&L LEDs. They’re not all driven the same. The B2805 is Bright! We went with discrete LEDs (as opposed to building a multi-chip) on that unit to be able to be brighter than the ColorForce II. It is one of the brightest battens out there.
Here’s a link to the Photometric Report:
https://www.chauvetprofessional.com...5/01/Ovation_B-2805FC_Photometric_Reports.pdf

Thanks @Ford
My 2805's are about 3' downstage of the Cyc and about 4' higher than the cyc. I use the diffuser. There is a bit of a hot spot (really a hot stripe as it's the entire width of the cyc. I have the 2805's aimed so that the stripes is about 10' off the ground. But the hot stripe really only shows up on camera. The average person never notices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back