Need help getting sound monitors to mirror the house.

Andrew738

I'm trying to accomplish is getting the monitors in the booth mirror the sound in the house at my high school theatre. The monitors we are using are 2 Alesis prolinear 720 dsp and the board itself is a Soundcraft gb4. I have limited knowledge in this area.

Hi Andrew,

Is your booth sealed or does it have an open window? I believe that those monitors only have on board EQ, so if you are wanting to time align them to the house PA you'll need an additional processor. Do you have a system processor, and are there any available outputs?

~ Lakota

I guess my first question is: In what way do your monitors sound different than your house mix? You had mentioned in your other post that they used to sound the same, but now they don't. What about the sound changed?

IMHO, mixing in a booth is a foolish thing to attempt. You'll get the best results by moving the mixer into the house. At best, the monitor speakers will be an approximation. Even if they match in loudness and frequency response, the acoustic environment will be completely different. It will be devoid of room reverberation, direct sound from instruments, noise from the audience, HVAC noise, etc., that all affect what you hear and how you mix. I'd rather get a poke in the eye than mix in a booth.

They used to match in volume and frequency and someone had played with the settings. I agree that it would be easier to mix in the house we do use an open window about 14 off the ground so not the most accurate.

Can you take a picture of your booth? I'm having trouble visualizing the arrangement.

Those monitors you've got are pretty fancy as far as active speakers go, I'll take a stab in the dark and guess that by frequency you mean equalization (adjusting the high, middle, low (and everything in between) frequencies to the sound. Depending on what output is feeding those monitors from your Soundcraft- If it's the same source as your main speakers or another output, can also impact the quality (and quantity) of sound.

I would google Alesis ProLinear 720 DSP and find a manual for your speakers. A cursory search turned up that there are a bunch of preset EQ settings and I'm betting one of your booth mates changed to a different one. The other possibility lies with everything between your monitor and the actual sound source. We need to know how your mains connect to the Soundcraft and how the monitors connect. The monitors will take a line level input, meaning that they amplify the sound on their own. Some house speakers will do this, but it's far more likely that there's an amplifier somewhere in between.

Also, like many have said, this is going to be very subjective. You physically cannot reproduce how your main speaker array will sound inside your control booth. You can get close (hence the subjectivity), but 100% accuracy in sound reproduction is just not possible. That being said, I think if you investigate the settings on your monitors and examine how each audio chain is getting it's signal you might find your culprit.

Keep in mind, your mains will have an amplifier somewhere between the console and the speakers and potentially an equalizer or a separate, external DSP of their own. Trace the cables back to the console and tell us where everything plugs in.

Can you take a picture of your booth? I'm having trouble visualizing the arrangement.

Those monitors you've got are pretty fancy as far as active speakers go, I'll take a stab in the dark and guess that by frequency you mean equalization (adjusting the high, middle, low (and everything in between) frequencies to the sound. Depending on what output is feeding those monitors from your Soundcraft- If it's the same source as your main speakers or another output, can also impact the quality (and quantity) of sound.

I would google Alesis ProLinear 720 DSP and find a manual for your speakers. A cursory search turned up that there are a bunch of preset EQ settings and I'm betting one of your booth mates changed to a different one. The other possibility lies with everything between your monitor and the actual sound source. We need to know how your mains connect to the Soundcraft and how the monitors connect. The monitors will take a line level input, meaning that they amplify the sound on their own. Some house speakers will do this, but it's far more likely that there's an amplifier somewhere in between.

Also, like many have said, this is going to be very subjective. You physically cannot reproduce how your main speaker array will sound inside your control booth. You can get close (hence the subjectivity), but 100% accuracy in sound reproduction is just not possible. That being said, I think if you investigate the settings on your monitors and examine how each audio chain is getting it's signal you might find your culprit.

Keep in mind, your mains will have an amplifier somewhere between the console and the speakers and potentially an equalizer or a separate, external DSP of their own. Trace the cables back to the console and tell us where everything plugs in.
This is the sound setup we have. The objects on top of the monitors are Shure directional antennas.

Attachments

• soundsetup.jpg
    soundsetup.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 301
We can open the center part up all the way we normally have a sound technician stand in the window while the other works board and reads script.

The best bet is to get a good set of mics located in the general listening area and feed them through their own mix to the monitors in the booth. Often, the mix coming through the system is not the full sound image. In some cases, it is almost a negative image in that it is filling in some things on the stage that are not carrying on their own. About the only time you want to listen to a straight board mix is when you are recording. Live sound is always about balancing the house. In a sealed or limited booth, you want to somehow hear what people are hearing.

If you have a good DSP, you could feed a matrix send of the main mix to it, and adjust the EQ so it sounds like your system, but that takes stage volume out of the equation. Is moving the console to the window opening an option? I would strongly advocate for relocating the console to the open window, or out in the house as needed. Beyond that, frequent trips out to the house while someone babysits the desk is also a very good solution. A good mixer will learn the difference in sound quality between the house and mix position, though that point is a bit more difficult in a high school setting.

If you have a good DSP, you could feed a matrix send of the main mix to it, and adjust the EQ so it sounds like your system, but that takes stage volume out of the equation. Is moving the console to the window opening an option? I would strongly advocate for relocating the console to the open window, or out in the house as needed. Beyond that, frequent trips out to the house while someone babysits the desk is also a very good solution. A good mixer will learn the difference in sound quality between the house and mix position, though that point is a bit more difficult in a high school setting.
Do to architectural reasons relocating isn't really an option as much as we would like to. How exactly would we set up a matrix to do that? I know it's not the prefered or the best method.

Do to architectural reasons relocating isn't really an option as much as we would like to. How exactly would we set up a matrix to do that? I know it's not the prefered or the best method.

It all comes down to control. Ideally, you would tune your room the exact same that you tune your monitors. What @Eboy87 is talking about is getting a sound processor that could change the sound going to the monitors to match as close as possible to what is coming out of your house PA. You would send the exact same signal you are sending to your main speakers to the processor. You could feed that processor with a matrix feed of your L/R bus.

That is the easy part. You would then have to take measurements of the house PA and use those measurements to get the exact same frequency response out of your monitors.

What I just detailed involves at least a 2,000 dollar processor and a few grand in measurement equiptment. All things you don't have.

My advice... Patch your monitors into an open matrix and send L to Left and Right to R. Get a piece of music that you know well that has a lot of lows, mids, and highs. Listen to in the theatre. Walk up to the booth and listen to it. Fiddle with whatever knobs are on the monitors until it sounds close in frequency response (lows, mids, highs) and magnitude (how loud it is). Do that back and forth for a few hours until you get it as close as you can. If you have a spare graphic or paremetric EQ patch that in between the monitors and the console and fiddle with those knobs until it sounds even closer. Walk away at that point and try to figure out a way of getting the console in the house.

My advice... Patch your monitors into an open matrix and send L to Left and Right to R. Get a piece of music that you know well that has a lot of lows, mids, and highs. Listen to in the theatre. Walk up to the booth and listen to it. Fiddle with whatever knobs are on the monitors until it sounds close in frequency response (lows, mids, highs) and magnitude (how loud it is). Do that back and forth for a few hours until you get it as close as you can. If you have a spare graphic or paremetric EQ patch that in between the monitors and the console and fiddle with those knobs until it sounds even closer. Walk away at that point and try to figure out a way of getting the console in the house.

^ This ^

x1000.

Learning how the room sounds compared to mix position is actually much easier and intuitive than people might think, and it will sound so much better than trying to mix off of monitors processed to hell. The only other piece of advice I would give is don't use MP3s for this. CDs are fine, WAV and Apple Lossless files on an iPod are fine, but please, no MP3.

That setup doesn't look awful actually. You're not going to hear nearly as well as you would in the house, but I think you might be surprised to find what you can hear without the monitors going.

There are worse in this world. A high school near where I used to live was built, brand new, top of the line everything and it had a nice big, wide band hall built for it. Actually had JBL line arrays if I recall. The booth itself was at audience level (good) in an isolation room (uh oh), behind a plate glass window (crap), with no opening ($#%&*), and only an AC suction vent ( :wall:). All of the amps (QSC I think...) in that room overheated constantly and would shut down intermittently throughout performances. The door to the booth opened into the lobby so it was not useful to leave open during a performance.

That setup doesn't look awful actually. You're not going to hear nearly as well as you would in the house, but I think you might be surprised to find what you can hear without the monitors going.

There are worse in this world. A high school near where I used to live was built, brand new, top of the line everything and it had a nice big, wide band hall built for it. Actually had JBL line arrays if I recall. The booth itself was at audience level (good) in an isolation room (uh oh), behind a plate glass window (crap), with no opening ($#%&*), and only an AC suction vent ( :wall:). All of the amps (QSC I think...) in that room overheated constantly and would shut down intermittently throughout performances. The door to the booth opened into the lobby so it was not useful to leave open during a performance.
Okay thank you for the help I will have the sound department give that a try. I will also have them give Footer's suggestion a try to see what they want to go with. Thanks again to everyone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back