Need help identifying these old lights!

Spinney

They've been sitting in a church attic for who knows how long. Curious as to what they are and how much they're worth. I can't find anything similar anywhere! I only have one with me right now. I know it has a half-peeled sticker that says Hub Electric Company, INC. Chicago Illinois. I'd love some light shed on them! By the way they're all similarly shaped, but a lot are different styles and sizes. I probably have 12 of them.

8949-need-help-identifying-these-old-lights-img_1120.jpg

8950-need-help-identifying-these-old-lights-img_1121.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1120.JPG
    IMG_1120.JPG
    391 KB · Views: 672
  • IMG_1121.JPG
    IMG_1121.JPG
    371.8 KB · Views: 667
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Those are Nasty! FYI, the power whip is ASBESTOS! They look kind of Kliegl-esque but... and yeah, weight in scrap. With a good metal worker, you could make some kewl ashtrays out of them. There are some who may suggest updating and using or donating them (once they are updated). I am not one of those people. Museum or scrap yard. But that is just me.

That cable is asbestos, it is a hazard, it must be disposed of safely and rewired with silicon cable. The lights would be practically worthless here in Australia and probably in the US too, they also need an earth, don't use them as they are, sorry to be negative but they are hazardous

Once abated of any asbestos, they could probably be sold off on eBay for about $15-20 each. You may have decent luck since you have a large-ish quantity. Some people might also be interested in the spare parts they'd provide (especially the lenses; maybe the sockets too if they're in good shape). Sometimes the lenses are also compatible with other models of similar vintages, so research that if you decide to sell them off. New lenses cost like $50ea, and most everybody doesn't want to pay that to get an old light working again.

As indicated by the sticker, these were manufactured by Hub Electric Co which folded in the 70's. Your lights are radial ellipsoidals, dating back to probably the 60's or 70's.

Seems like a 8" Leko from Hub by way of stickers. Also more like a Kliegl #1368E Leko but Hub was buying old castings etc. to other brands back than. Not 1950's as per a Kliegl, more like later 60's and the history of the place they are at would give a more reliable date than that. Given the stickers, I would assume accurate for brand and pre-like 1970 date (Hub moved to Elmhurst in about 70') and unfortunately the Kliegl would be more valuable. There is a complete catalogue from Hub on the Wikee from this website which should have this specific fixture. Sorry, you are selling you do the leg work in finding it and the part number and date.

Agreed with some of the above - cut the asbestos at least to the lamp cap, but not with the scrap metal persay or balk sales of them. Sorry, this is a museum piece only in very obsolete and them that would want it would want perhaps one or two of them only. I note on the photos that the lamp cap yoke is broken to say the least in the one in the photos - not a resale photo to post on-line if trying to sell as with the yoke knob I don't think origional.

Don’s Bulbs might rip you off a lot on lamp prices but give you some for any original lamps you have for them, otherwise a search into “antique bulb collectors” might lead you to a forum with people that might buy the lamps for at least a decent price. That’s the lamps and you can sell fixtures without the lamp including E-Baying them. This granted UPS/Postal Service/FedEx are not great in shipping old filament lamps and you might end up with a broken filament and no-sale in paying the shipping.

Overall worth of the fixtures - lamps or not and normally sold with asbestos attached... obsolete and not as popular of a collector brand. Very few museums for stage lighting and or people that collect them. I will also not be bidding on these lights given advice given and already own two Kliegl similar. Leaves out one of only a few bidders when my wife lets me buy stuff and I just bought a 1900-1910 box spot as per my budget anyway.

Brass tacks, overall wouldn’t take too much work to get them museum quality for what I see (like eight hours or work and parts.) Totally obsolete for stage usage. Lenses on them might sell for a decent value - say start at $25.00 each if you with on-line help can determine their focal length. Lenses are very expensive new and used ones are often just as good assuming anyone needing a 8" lens. The fixture itself probably for the same value one might start in listing price, but with a best offer option. Wiring and contacts will be toast at least for a lot of cleaning/surfacing work as with it’s shutters and I don’t believe it the correct yoke knob. Yea, a lot of people list such things starting at $100.00 plus especially in thinking larger is more valuable but instead the reverse is the case often.

Was looking at a 3.1/2" Leko from Times Square last night on E-Bay that was trashed with use and rust. Seller still thinking $60.00 after starting at $100.00, I’m thinking $10.00 in best offer. Your’s are at least in better condition, but no better really in a hard to sell type of thing. Sorry but not very popular lights to be selling.

Last edited:
You can probably dispose of the asbestos legally if you wrap the entire unit in a plastic bag and hire an abatment contractor to bury it in an approved land fill. The abatement contrcator will also sell you the required insurance - a one time fee for a forever policy - to cover costs of later handling and treatment if ever required of your waste. It will be labeled with your name by the way. If you have an employee do the work of replacing the asbestos insulated wire, then they have to suit up and the area has to be cleaned up and tested after - which is why I never recommend replacing asbestos insulated wire. Treating the whole unit as hazardous material and buying a new unit always costs less than rewiring and meeting all regulations. BTW, you or the institution where these are now, having recognized the asbestos, are now the producer of hazardous material. Or simply become a scofflaw, do it yourself, wrap the asbestos insulated wire so it is disguised, and toss it in the regular trash, and hope no eager EPA agent is looking.

What lenses are in them, step lens or plano convex lens? If step lens, even less reason to keep them around.

I do love old instruments, and the fact that you hae 12 is a BIG plus, but honestly they probably aren't worth the time, not to mention their lamps are only going to get harder to find.

ETC is currently looking for ellipsoidals for their museum. Offer these to them, as they might not have a sample already.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a weird way, that would be pretty fun. Of course, I'd have a hidden DMX interface somewhere for when I used the space ;).

I've seen that console on eBay for the past few weeks. It's very neat and would make a cool prop - too bad it's in Virginia (and I wouldn't even pay the starting bid for it, let alone the BIN price).

*And yeah, I know that I probably couldn't make this system DMX-able :).

Last edited:
Would the bulbs happen to look like this?
I highly suspect that they do, and purchasing all of Spinney's used/working lamps is probably the best outcome for the fixtures under discussion. And coincidentally would solve http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/31591-old-kliegl-light-bulbs.html . ;)

Then again, the Hub units might use a MEDIUM bipost (or a medium prefocus) socket, rather than a mogul bipost, with the large (~4" D.) lamp cap just a holdover from similar fixtures in the series.

Last edited:
You can probably dispose of the asbestos legally if you wrap the entire unit in a plastic bag and hire an abatment contractor to bury it in an approved land fill. The abatement contrcator will also sell you the required insurance - a one time fee for a forever policy - to cover costs of later handling and treatment if ever required of your waste. It will be labeled with your name by the way. If you have an employee do the work of replacing the asbestos insulated wire, then they have to suit up and the area has to be cleaned up and tested after - which is why I never recommend replacing asbestos insulated wire. Treating the whole unit as hazardous material and buying a new unit always costs less than rewiring and meeting all regulations. BTW, you or the institution where these are now, having recognized the asbestos, are now the producer of hazardous material. Or simply become a scofflaw, do it yourself, wrap the asbestos insulated wire so it is disguised, and toss it in the regular trash, and hope no eager EPA agent is looking.

This all is a problem to be concerned about and to understand, but also a larger problem than just some lights having asbestos whips. Think of years of them fibers flaking off in where one is working... and how much more of it was sturred up in moving about the dust and in flexing the whips while removing the fixtures. Cutting and bagging the whip while it's not moving around is the least of the asbestos problems I think.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back