Vintage Lighting Need Help IDing an old Century Lighting Fresnel

rickyl

I recently acquired this old Century Fresnel on eBay and intend to fix it up all nice and pretty, but I know nothing about it or where to begin. There doesn't appear to be a whole lot on the internet about Century Lighting. The only thing I do know is that it must be from before 1964 since that's when Century became Lighting Corporation of America. If anyone knows what year its from or any other information about it, I would be very appreciative.

photo-1.JPGphoto-9.JPGphoto-3.JPGphoto-4.JPGphoto-5.JPGphoto-6.JPGphoto-7.JPGphoto-8.JPG

Probably early 60's. I still have and use about 40 of these that were new in 1964. It could date to somewhat earlier but was around at that point. Mine have the same Century labels.

fyi - the white power leads are Asbestos. They need to be disposed of before you do anything else. Please put the whole thing in a trash bag until that is dealt with, including cleaning any residual flaked dust. Ours were rewired more than 20 years ago.

Probably early 60's. I still have and use about 40 of these that were new in 1964. It could date to somewhat earlier but was around at that point. Mine have the same Century labels.

fyi - the white power leads are Asbestos. They need to be disposed of before you do anything else. Please put the whole thing in a trash bag until that is dealt with, including cleaning any residual flaked dust. Ours were rewired more than 20 years ago.

Thanks for the insight. Any chance you have pictures of what they looked like new?

We still have a few Capital fresnels in service that look very similar to yours. Ours were probably purchased in the mid to late 1970s.

Off brand for me in dating style, I think late 50's thru early 60's but modern for what others were doing in being hard to date. Have a couple of Century Fresnels in dating them to the late 60's, your's is older some I think in memory of them not while posted about.
Follow what is as were often posted question of how to deal with Fresnels well already posted about. How to deal with it isn't different than how to deal with a modern Fresnel. Same basic problems in shining up reflector or lamp base no matter the age.

Good Fresnel design - should work fine as a modern fresnel for any theater application. This given I only have the crank focus versions of this Fresnel type thus different animal. Think your's older and confirm that none the less it is all good for modern use - once re-wired and surfaced.

Last edited:
...The only thing I do know is that it must be from before 1964 since that's when Century became Lighting Corporation of America. ...
Not necessarily; could be as late as 1969. While ownership changed to LCA, fixtures were still branded Century, and I don't think ever actually marked LCA.

By "intend to fix it up all nice and pretty", do you mean for stage use or as a display item? Obviously it's missing it's yoke and lens, and the asbestos tails will need to be abated. The next steps depend on your intended use. I hope you paid next to nothing for it.

Not necessarily; could be as late as 1969. While ownership changed to LCA, fixtures were still branded Century, and I don't think ever actually marked LCA.

By "intend to fix it up all nice and pretty", do you mean for stage use or as a display item? Obviously it's missing it's yoke and lens, and the asbestos tails will need to be abated. The next steps depend on your intended use. I hope you paid next to nothing for it.

I intend to make a functional display piece. I currently use inkies and birdies to light my room and I think this would make a nice floorlamp if i fix it up correctly.

PS thanks for the Century chronology fact!

What is the lens size of this unit? I have some spare 6" and 8" lenses that I could sell you real cheap. The 6" lens is from a 65Q and the 8" is from a Kliegl monster. New lenses cost in the neighborhood of $40 and up, and I'd get you one quite a bit cheaper if you PM me. I also have yokes which may or may not fit, but it'd be easy enough to fabricate one out of 1.5" strap steel.

In about 1970 or 71 I owned some that were nearly identical. I think they were knock-offs, The gel frame holders weren't cast but formed sheet steel. I don't remember the brand for sure and they were purchased new at the time. Just a bit of trivia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back