Need help in identifying this spotlight

levinll

Purchased it at an estate sale. No sign of a manufacturer on it.

I have no background at all regarding the theater so I was hoping someone on this forum might be able to help me identifying what this is and what time period it might have been used in.

Thanks you in advance for your help.
20191224_071920.jpg

20191224_072003.jpg

20191224_072014.jpg

20191224_071937.jpg

Almost, but not quite, an Altman 366-8x8 or 8x11 ERS, common in the mid-to-late 1960s. I suspect yours is the model just prior to this one. Are the dimensions the same?

Attachments

• 366-8X8.pdf
    169.4 KB · Views: 199
Knobs would say Century if so, probably the case of Altman #366. Pre-Hammertone Brown. What lamp is it using Medium Pre-Focus? I have the hammertone brown version in collection if photo's are needed to verify.

You are speaking a totally different language that me ! LOL
@levinll Permit me to translate for you from Ship's post in his native 'Ship-Speak':
When Bri' posted: "Knobs would say Century if so, probably the case of Altman #366. Pre-Hammertone Brown. What lamp is it using Medium Pre-Focus? I have the hammertone brown version in collection if photo's are needed to verify. "

I believe he was saying: Your photo could be either of two units, an American Century Strand from the early 1970's OR an Altman from the same vintage.
If he unit was a Century Strand, "Century" or "Century Strand" would've been cast into the handles of the vertical tilt locks.
Since "Century" is NOT cast into the tilt lock knobs, the unit is most likely the Altman and from their pre-Hammertone Brown period.

Next; Bri's asking what lamp and socket is installed within your fixture: He's suggesting a likely lamp and socket would be a Medium Pre-Focus based lamp in a Medium Pre-Focus socket. (In my memory; possibly a 750T12/9 or even a 1MT12/9) This lamp and socket would've been common to either / both the Altmans and Century Strands of the era.
Bri's adding: He has the same Altman unit in their Hammertone Brown finish in his museum collection IF you need photos of his known fixture to aid in your identification / verification.
Ship-speak's fairly easy to translate given sufficient years of exposure.
Toodleoo!
Ron (Posting from north of Donald's walls) Hebbard

You are speaking a totally different language that me ! LOL
Use the larger of the slotted screws to remove the cap and see if a lamp is still in it or what the socket looks like. Seeing what lamp it used will help some identify the fixture time period. The hammer tone color reference is just the paint on the outside. Like cars and such, the paint job can pinpoint time of manufacture.
FYI, it's not really a collector item. Best use is to dispose of the asbestos wires properly and have someone wire it up with standard table lamp bulb to it and have a decoration.

@levinll Permit me to translate for you from Ship's post in his native 'Ship-Speak':
When Bri' posted: "Knobs would say Century if so, probably the case of Altman #366. Pre-Hammertone Brown. What lamp is it using Medium Pre-Focus? I have the hammertone brown version in collection if photo's are needed to verify. "

I believe he was saying: Your photo could be either of two units, an American Century Strand from the early 1970's OR an Altman from the same vintage.
If he unit was a Century Strand, "Century" or "Century Strand" would've been cast into the handles of the vertical tilt locks.
Since "Century" is NOT cast into the tilt lock knobs, the unit is most likely the Altman and from their pre-Hammertone Brown period.

Next; Bri's asking what lamp and socket is installed within your fixture: He's suggesting a likely lamp and socket would be a Medium Pre-Focus based lamp in a Medium Pre-Focus socket. (In my memory; possibly a 750T12/9 or even a 1MT12/9) This lamp and socket would've been common to either / both the Altmans and Century Strands of the era.
Bri's adding: He has the same Altman unit in their Hammertone Brown finish in his museum collection IF you need photos of his known fixture to aid in your identification / verification.
Ship-speak's fairly easy to translate given sufficient years of exposure.
Toodleoo!
Ron (Posting from north of Donald's walls) Hebbard
Thanks for he translation.

Hammertone refers to a finish or texture. From Wikipedia: "Hammer paint is a special lacquer with a surface that looks like hammered metal when dried. It is also known as hammertone."

Thanks for the translations. I was incorrect in specifying Century verses actually thoughts of it as a Capitol in brand for the fixture presented on the knob. If Capitol did that logo on the knobs I cannot say in not owning any of their Leko's. Capitol though had an icon plate saying what brand it is, which is not on this fixture. No icon plate so it's most likely not Capitol Stage Lighting Leko.

I would overall agree and differ with Derek's identify of it as an Altman 366-8x8 or 8x11 ERS. I would specify it as c.1957-62 in pre-Hammertone Brown in color for the fixtures dating Altman. 1962 - NY World's Fair is the start of Altman Hammertone Brown for a specific date. 1957 is when Altman started by way of designs by Century or a train wreck of Century parts bought as told.

Reason I asked about the lamp socket type is because in the 50's there was seemingly in popularity a switch to a P-22 (500T14/8) G-22 Medium Bi-post lamp socket from the noted and thought to be initial lamp base type in a c1938 P-28s lamp socket using a (750T12/9) P-28s lamp. Wattages from notes on specific fixture lamps seen in use- not in relation to fixture rated wattage - could be either wattage.

ie: Both lamp socket types were commonly used in the 50's. If this fixture is using a P-22 lamp socket, it would be important to know in still possibly being Altman, but if P-28s would further the Altman conformation given I have one from later with the same lamp socket but different color.

As for use... Obsolete. Rest of post taken off line in restore who to send fixtures to. Not to trash all of them given museums possibly don't have them in collection. It is possible with protocols to restore and make such fixtures lobby sculpture even once brought back to factory spec and better or modified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back