Need Help Replacing Tungsten w/ LED

BLPisani

Here's what we have: 6 Philips Selecon Arena 8" Fresnels with CYX lamps (2kW, 54000 lumens), two on FOH catwalk, 4 over stage, as work lights. Yeah, I know, brighter than most places. I have no idea what their heights are. I could take a swing at it, but I'd miss hard.

What we want to do: Replace all of them with LED work lights, but still have roughly the same illumination. They need to somehow work with the current Unison architectural controls, so probably dimmable via Sensor dimmers. (Sensor+... There are CEM+ v. 2.0.0 brains.) I have never programmed Unison panels before, so I don't know if they have access to more than just the dimmer racks or the first universe of DMX.

Why? We go through lamps like a baby goes through diapers. On top of that, we burn out sockets (porcelains) quickly, and they're not cheap either. This is because we use a light intended for short-term use in a very long-term application. The brightness matters, though.

I'm looking at the Altman LED work light and Kreios FLx floods as possibilities.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I don't have a budget that I've been given, so I'm just getting information right now.

Thanks. (Cross-posted to /r/techtheatre on Reddit.)

You should also look into the 8" Altman Pegasus Fresnel, IIRC it's rated equivalent to a 750w fresnel.
The Altman LED work light is insanely bright. Installed four on a small proscenium stage and you almost need sunglasses;).
Also insanely expensive. They are not dimmable, however, so you would need to add Sensor relay modules to the cost. Try to get a demo.
It's 2x the lumens of the FLx90, and from what google turned up, about 2x the price, so it's no more expensive, but loses the dimming.

I really like the Kreios FLx 90 . Great color, and OK mains dimming. 2 or 3 for each fresnel would probably be fine. They rn in the $350-400 range, so I think quite a bargain.

I asked Altman about getting one of their very bright LED work lights with a line voltage dimmer, similar to what they have in their existing Pegasus line. I don't think they get enough demand for a dimming work light to put it through the expensive approval process. I think a decent dimming , wide high output fixture would find lots of other applications.

I have never used these, but they may be an easy answer for you with existing fixtures, dimming and control. http://visionsmith.com/relamp-2k-led/?v=3e8d115eb4b3

Rob Montgomery

I asked Altman about getting one of their very bright LED work lights with a line voltage dimmer, similar to what they have in their existing Pegasus line. I don't think they get enough demand for a dimming work light to put it through the expensive approval process. I think a decent dimming , wide high output fixture would find lots of other applications.

I have never used these, but they may be an easy answer for you with existing fixtures, dimming and control. http://visionsmith.com/relamp-2k-led/?v=3e8d115eb4b3

Rob Montgomery
That's interesting. I knew of it but didn't think of it for Selecon. $995 and relamp. If the existing distribution is acceptable or good, why not. Too easy. I did think that using the Kreios you could spread then out a little and get softer, more shadowless, light.

You are why this place is so great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back