Control/Dimming Need help to find a decent light board

More and more high-end rental companies are buying Vectors to add to their inventory.

I seriously think that for the price, the Dlite is a great board. It runs a version of the Vector software, and has higher-end ML features for those who want them. The ability to reference libraries is one of these great features. Plus, it has the built in flip-up touch screen. While it is rather small, it seems like a pretty powerful feature.

As a disclaimer, I have never actually used a Dlite, just done everything short of that (messed around with Dlite PC, read the manual, etc).

More and more high-end rental companies are buying Vectors to add to their inventory...
PRG? Upstaging? Ed&Ted's? Bandit? Solotech? AceyDecy? 4Wall? TLS? Scharf-Weisberg? Christie Lites? Clearwing? CSL? ELS? Delicate Productions? Apologies to anyone I've missed, while trying to exclude local and non-touring companies.

Let's ask Bryan Hartley, Yves Aucoin, Christian Choi, Arnold Serame, or anyone else who was forced to use the Compulite Animator, as it was the only viable ML console of the early 1990s, other than the Vari*Lite Artisan.

PRG? Upstaging? Ed&Ted's? Bandit? Solotech? AceyDecy? 4Wall? TLS? Scharf-Weisberg? Christie Lites? Clearwing? CSL? ELS? Delicate Productions? Apologies to anyone I've missed, while trying to exclude local and non-touring companies.

Let's ask Bryan Hartley, Yves Aucoin, Christian Choi, Arnold Serame, or anyone else who was forced to use the Compulite Animator, as it was the only viable ML console of the early 1990s, other than the Vari*Lite Artisan.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the industry giants have chosen other foreign consoles, for instance, Chamsys. :)

By high-end rental company I mean company that sends out some decent-size tours, not a company that sends out a bunch of massive tours. I'll have to ask who they are next time the person who I had that conversation with is in the shop, because I can't remember the exact names from the conversation.

EDIT: after doing research, looks like Bandit is using the Vectors a decent amount.

Oh, and Derek, we all know that the Animator is a piece of crap. However, Compulite has come a long way. Check out the new stuff, download the offline, look through the tutorial.

Last edited:
i also need help finding a decent lightboard, my colortran innovator....well it sux, ballz, really. and it keeps crashing so ya haha

Same here!!! We even sent it back in to Leviton to no avail...

My Innovator crashes - pay attention to what you're doing when it crashes. You can avoid it by figuring out what causes it - mine only crashes when I enter many, many numbers in using the keypad. So whenever I am going to use the keypad extensively, I save and restart the board not often, but often enough to avoid crashes. As I am the only one that is advanced enough to use the keypad, it only crashes on me. Everyone else uses the faders as needed. It should get you through until you get a new board.

My Innovator crashes - pay attention to what you're doing when it crashes. You can avoid it by figuring out what causes it - mine only crashes when I enter many, many numbers in using the keypad. So whenever I am going to use the keypad extensively, I save and restart the board not often, but often enough to avoid crashes. As I am the only one that is advanced enough to use the keypad, it only crashes on me. Everyone else uses the faders as needed. It should get you through until you get a new board.
We just got our brand new shiny state of the art Innovator, despite my input to purchase from another company. We're on our second board now, since the manufacturer finally got tired of my service calls due to crashing, etc. We'll be putting the second one through it's paces in a few weeks, but I don't have high hopes for a crash free console. It's also huge for what it offers, and the construction feels cheap to me. At least the keys don't pop off though when you type fast, which always happens on my old Strand.

It's also huge for what it offers, and the construction feels cheap to me.

Too True!!! It IS huge. As for its construction, I don't have much to compare it with, but it doesn't seem very durable.

Ah, the ol compulite consoles. There used to be a venue here in town that had a compulite as their main console, LD systems still has quite a few. I'd take anything over a leprecon LPX console. For around the 3-5k price with a good bit of searching you may be able to find an avo pearl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back