need help.

jreyes

i am having a problem. We have a 16 channel mackie board and it is hooked up to two mackie loud speakers and a b-52. we have all of the compressions and eq's on it but we have unpluged it because it just wasnt giving us very clear sound. but now it seems like everything has a cap on it. what could i do??

Can you explain how everything is hooked up, what outputs connect to what inputs and so on? Also, how is the system being used and what are you expecting? And as Phil noted, specific model numbers and settings would likely help.

Can you explain how everything is hooked up, what outputs connect to what inputs and so on? Also, how is the system being used and what are you expecting? And as Phil noted, specific model numbers and settings would likely help.
Okay. it is actually a Allen&Heath board (mixwizard wz3 16:2) with a Drawmer DL 241 compression, Phonic PEQ3400, and two Behringer multicom pro-XL. the only thing we still have hooked up is the PEQ3400. everything is ran from the snake into to the board with the peq3400 into the main inserts then sent out to our main speakers. two weeks ago i unpluged it all but the peq and it seemed okay. but this week it just sounded like there was a wall in front of the speakers. (like someone reading a book with in their face.) Muddy water. we are a church.

Okay. it is actually a Allen&Heath board (mixwizard wz3 16:2) with a Drawmer DL 241 compression, Phonic PEQ3400, and two Behringer multicom pro-XL. the only thing we still have hooked up is the PEQ3400. everything is ran from the snake into to the board with the peq3400 into the main inserts then sent out to our main speakers. two weeks ago i unpluged it all but the peq and it seemed okay. but this week it just sounded like there was a wall in front of the speakers. (like someone reading a book with in their face.) Muddy water. we are a church.
What are the Mackie and B-52 speaker models? I sort of assumed this was Mackie mains and a B-52 subwoofer and if so, then conspicuously absent in your description are any crossover or amplifiers.

There are a lot of things that could be happening, from poor gain structure to blown tweeters. There's a few people here in the Atlanta area, in what part of the Atlanta area are you located?

What are the Mackie and B-52 speaker models? I sort of assumed this was Mackie mains and a B-52 subwoofer and if so, then conspicuously absent in your description are any crossover or amplifiers.

There are a lot of things that could be happening, from poor gain structure to blown tweeters. There's a few people here in the Atlanta area, in what part of the Atlanta area are you located?

we are in downtown atlanta and we have been looking for someone to come and get our board back onto a good foundation. but until then i just want to do what i can. i cant tell the model number of our speakers but it is a b-52 subwoofer (matrix 1000). i have zeroed out the gains for each singer but i dont still dont think it is correct.

From what I can tell, the B-52 Matrix 1000 is a complete speaker system. The subwoofer has a 15" driver with an integrated 400W amp as well as an internal 120Hz crossover and two 150W amps for the two-way, 10" plus 1" on horn satellite speakers that are part of the system. Normally you would take the mixer outputs into the EQ and then the EQ outputs into the left and right inputs on the subwoofer. The non-powered left and right speakers then connect to the left and right speaker outputs on the subwoofer. However, if you are not using the B-52 mains speakers and your Mackies are powered speakers, then that approach will not work. Unfortunately, there is no line level high pass output on the B-52 subwoofer, only a full range pass through, thus you would want to add a crossover to split the highs to the Mackies and the lows to the sub.

I can't find any useful info on the Phonic PEQ3400, it is apparently a two channel, 15 band graphic equalizer but is of sufficient age that no information is available on Phonic's web site. If there is a bypass button on the Phonic EQ you may want to try operating that just to see what difference the EQ being applied is making. Otherwise you may want to document the current settings and then set everything to flat or 0 and see what difference that makes.

okay. so i am looking at some crossovers but any help on finding one to fit out sytem?? not really a budget but we are a chruch. so to high

So your Mackies are powered? If not, you may be able to drive them using the amps in the subwoofer. Out of curiosity, how is the subwoofer currently wired into the system?

So your Mackies are powered? If not, you may be able to drive them using the amps in the subwoofer. Out of curiosity, how is the subwoofer currently wired into the system?
Yes our Mackies are powered. At the moment our sub is wired to our aux outs and we control what is put in into the sub and wedges. and the main outs from the board are put into the Mackies with no cross over. But if we change it and put our main outs from the board to main in on the sub then the main outs form the sub to mackies will the crossover in the sub be sufficent for the mackies even though our mackies are powered?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back