Design Need Ideas

Wicked

Alright, I am designing a plot of "Annie Get Your Gun," and I need ideas to what colors I could possibly use for a dream type ballroom dance, also I would like some ideas on what to use as a day and/or night gel ideas as well, I use Rosco brand gel's and gobos. Any and all ideas will be much appreciated, Thank you

Also I would like to know if anyone knows the price of Rosco's gobo's

What does a dream like ballroom feel like and look like to you? What color is day? Night? Look thru the swatchbook (available at your local dealer) and shine a mini-mag thru them and see what they look like. Which ones look like what you feel?

Alright, I am designing a plot of "Annie Get Your Gun," and I need ideas to what colors I could possibly use for a dream type ballroom dance, also I would like some ideas on what to use as a day and/or night gel ideas as well, I use Rosco brand gel's and gobos. Any and all ideas will be much appreciated, Thank you

Also I would like to know if anyone knows the price of Rosco's gobo's

Our vendors typcially charge anywhere from $11-13 per gobo.

As far as ideas for day and night - consider the following:
Intensity - dimmer = night, brighter = day
Colors - more bluish tones = night (within reason), more yellow tones (within reason) = day
"Haze" - "diffusers", etc. soften the light and can make it seem more "dream like"

It is your show to plot. Set down with a Rosco swatch set and (as previously suggested) - your light source and figure out what works for you. Stay away from the more intense colors - it is a musical - not a rock concert.

It might also be helpful to search for images that have similar colors, or that create the mood/feel you are looking for (these are called concept photos) and then look through your swatchbook and figure out what colors will help recreate that mood.

I just got done designing for the Merchant of Venice and I can tell you some gel ideas. For my daytime scenes, I used R33 (No Color Pink) for my front light and R02 (Bastard Amber) and R60 (No Color Blue) as my 45 degree lights. I also used PARS for sidelight that had scrollers on them which I had set on a sky blue color, a lighter pinkish purplish color, and a golden amber color. They changed between location changes in the play. I used either R30 or R31, can't quite remember which one (Salmon Pinks) as my daytime downlight. As far as nighttime, I had R80 (Primary Blue) as my downlight and it was about the same color in the scrollers for my side light. I also had a couple twilight scenes where there was a lot of purples, pinks, and orange. When it was twilight or nighttime, I took down the intensity of my 45 degree lights as well as my front light to be as realistic as possible. Plus, you get some really cool shadows. I would say for a dreamy ballroom dance, I'd go with a pinkish purplish look and broken glass gobo(s). Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back