Need info on old Kliegl Dimmers

Hey all,
An old space at my university has a really old control and dimming system. I have pictures of most of the dimmers but didn't get a picture of the board. The dimmers go into a couple carts (they type SDO picture) and are fed from the wall. The board has removable faders that pop in and out. Can anyone help me identify these and let me know roughly how old these are? Google is failing me right now. Thanks!

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_5133.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5133.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 230
  • thumbnail_IMG_5134.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5134.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 289
  • thumbnail_IMG_5135.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5135.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 246
  • thumbnail_IMG_5136.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5136.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 257
  • thumbnail_IMG_5137.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5137.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 232
... I have pictures of most of the dimmers but didn't get a picture of the board.
I may be missing something, but I don't see any pictures of dimmers. The ivory and blue color scheme dates the installation approx. 1969-1975 I believe.

Does the console look similar to this?
proxy.php

Rolling dimmer packs getting power via the 4 twistlok connections, feeding a lot of single pole patch cords that are really long so they can plug to the dimmer outlets ?. I assume neutral for the pack is via the feed twistloks.

Really oddball system. Is this 2 separate systems ?

I got some wider shots of the system and a picture of the board. Hopefully that clears some things up. It is a really oddball system.

Attachments

• 5FB72204-3A4A-4885-B3FD-31B7C4F7264D.jpeg
    5FB72204-3A4A-4885-B3FD-31B7C4F7264D.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 20D2844E-1E3D-4037-BB9F-2B08F695CC75.jpeg
    20D2844E-1E3D-4037-BB9F-2B08F695CC75.jpeg
    370.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 5FF5D6AF-1617-4470-8F71-CFC91BE87BDA.jpeg
    5FF5D6AF-1617-4470-8F71-CFC91BE87BDA.jpeg
    387.2 KB · Views: 209
WOW! Those are mighty impressive crossfader handles on that console! What happened to all the plug-in fader modules? I also like the small rolling racks. Would love to see a photo of the other side of them. Neat stuff from the 70's as Derek says.

This looks like the system installed in my college in about 1967 ( could be off a couple of years). The console was a 24 Chanel 2 scene preset with A B sub masters for each scene. The cross fade ( unlike the Century product) worked the way you wanted it to. Ie it did not dip in the middle.

This line was created as a low cost alternative to a fully custom console.

The dimmer racks were two rolling units with ( I believe ) 12 2.4k dimmers per rack. Control to the dimmers was by low voltage ( I expect 0 to 10 volts) analog. One wire per dimmer.

The patch panel looks custom to my eye. Everything else was a standard offering so you did not have to pay for custom engineering.

The system worked quite well until it sank when a summer riverboatwent down.

I used an identical control desk at the Emelin Theater in Mamaroneck, NY from 1975 -1978, 12 channels with 3kw dimmers. That system dimmers were rack mounted, patch panel was pin connector (that was incredibly useful). The sliders on the control were all removable and could be disassembled to clean the sliders. It was a common Kliegl fader used on a lot of systems as easy to scale up and was an incredibly reliable and clean system, no dip in the crossfade, which Century systems were known for I well recall the SCR component was rated for exactly 3kw and has zero tolerance for a short. I spent a lot of time driving to see Harry Nash at Kliegl in NYC. It was replaced with KliegPak 9.

My only thought on this system is the dimmer packs feed the branch circuits via the single pole patch cables, neutral is in the pack power cables. I would then assume the dimmer packs maybe could get used in a 2nd facility somewhere, thus the portability of dimmer packs and console. Also assuming 12 dimmers in a rolling pack, 3 outlets per dimmer that have branch circuit protection breakers on each pack, one per dimmer patch outlet. Plus every branch circuit on the hard wired patch panel has its own OCD.

Last edited:
Hey all,
An old space at my university has a really old control and dimming system. I have pictures of most of the dimmers but didn't get a picture of the board. The dimmers go into a couple carts (they type SDO picture) and are fed from the wall. The board has removable faders that pop in and out. Can anyone help me identify these and let me know roughly how old these are? Google is failing me right now. Thanks!

This is a unique system--I have never seen one like it from Kliegl. The console is a "portable" variant of their standard two-scene split/dipless unit using Carter plug-in pots. No surprises here.

But the dimmer "packs"? What flavor dimmers were in those? We need a front view.

ST

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back