Need Lighting Design Suggestions for A Shayna Maidel

Brendan

So my high school theater is producing A Shayna Maidel in a little under two weeks from now. We have around 15 Lekos, 20 Pars, 2 Movers, 2 3-Cell Cycs and 6 Mini Cycs to use for this. We have a really small budget but are creative in pulling things off professionally. We have 3 lighting bars over the stage and a lighting grid over the seating area to hang things. Total of 48 Dimmers. I have read through the script many times and have many ideas. I want to make this a great show in lighting (as creative and real as possible) With just providing you all a little background, I am currently planning the back wall with R80 Cycs and Using Star Gobos for a night sky effect in the scenes that are at night. This sky will be above the eight foot set "living room" wall. The bedroom and living rooms will have a R02 wash. My personal favorite basic color for general living space. During the flashback scenes happening in Poland in the 1930s I am envisioning a R25 or R27 red color for the floor, back, and sides with R02 from the grid on their faces. For the light rising and setting, I am making a sunrise/set through cycs, mini cycs and lekos that will change in intensity of colors as the "sun effect progresses". I have a mover pattern programmed for the "sun moving up into the sky". During the day will be a R67 Sky Blue. For a fantasy glow effect in a scene or two I am envisioning R73 Peacock Blue for this. ANY THOUGHTS ON ALL THIS? PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU THINK ANYTHING IS GOOD OR STUPID LOOKING. This is my first show I am designing by myself and want it to look great.

It sounds like you have some well thought out ideas and ways to execute them, so I'd say you are definitely on the right path. My only advice is to be careful of the star gobos. You want the tiniest holes possible (I used to make mine out of a pie pan or sheet metal and use a tiny nail to hammer pin holes into it. Otherwise the stars appear freakishly big and cartoonish if you go with anything bigger. Bounce your ideas off the director, and or show them the colors you are considering and talk them through your ideas. It's the director's opinion that really matters in the end, and as long as you are both on the same page, then your idea is good. Us providing an opinion doesn't validate or reject it one way or the other. It's your opinion and the director's that matter in the end. Good luck!

Last edited:
It sounds like you are some well thought out ideas and ways to execute them, so I'd say you are definitely on the right path. My only advice is to be careful of the star gobos. You want the tiniest holes possible (I used to make mine out of a pie pan or sheet metal and use a tiny nail to hammer pin holes into it. Otherwise the stars appear freakishly big and cartoonish if you go with anything bigger. Bounce your ideas off the director, and or show them the colors you are considering and talk them through your ideas. It's the director's opinion that really matters in the end, and as long as you are both on the same page, then your idea is good. Us providing an opinion doesn't validate or reject it one way or the other. It's your opinion and the director's that matter in the end. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure to do that for the stars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back