Need some audio recording help choosing a Boom Mic or Lavalier replacement...

anakinnnn

Hi all,
I am looking for advice on a boom/shotgun mic for recording live audio of two people in front of a Panasonic HMC150 camera in a closed environment. Unfortunately, the flooring is tile with a little reverb but luckily the room is relatively small. The two individuals on camera are less than 10 feet from the camera. I have used two somewhat cheap lavalier mics (Samson Wireless UM1 77 Micro Diversity Wireless System with CT7 Beltpacks with QL5 lav mics) but had some bleed over of their audio from one mic to the other. This makes it difficult to mix the audio feed down to stereo-mono (instead of each person being only a left or right feed) because it ends up sounding like there's a bit of extra reverb or echo when you mix down the files. Secondly, there's a lot of wireless devices in the environment we are recording in and every once in a while we get some static and quarter second dropouts that are just too hard to re-record back in properly. I use Adobe Auditon and Soundbooth for mixing down the files afterwards and pulling out any extra hiss from the lavs.

Both lavalier receivers are XLR inputs on my Panasonic camera and I am looking now to use a good shotgun or boom mic to capture their audio instead. It needs to capture both voices clearly from a distance of around 6-10 feet away with the talent not always looking directly at the camera as they look at each other from time to time when delivering lines. In spite of the floor tile and lack of sound dampening on the walls, the environment is reasonably quiet except for some PCs in the background. In lieu of a boom mic, I am also open to suggestions on some decent lavalier mics instead of what I have.

Can anyone suggest a reasonable audio solution under $500.

Thanks very much in advance.
Jason

Hi all,
I am looking for advice on a boom/shotgun mic for recording live audio of two people in front of a Panasonic HMC150 camera in a closed environment. Unfortunately, the flooring is tile with a little reverb but luckily the room is relatively small. The two individuals on camera are less than 10 feet from the camera. I have used two somewhat cheap lavalier mics (Samson Wireless UM1 77 Micro Diversity Wireless System with CT7 Beltpacks with QL5 lav mics) but had some bleed over of their audio from one mic to the other. This makes it difficult to mix the audio feed down to stereo-mono (instead of each person being only a left or right feed) because it ends up sounding like there's a bit of extra reverb or echo when you mix down the files. Secondly, there's a lot of wireless devices in the environment we are recording in and every once in a while we get some static and quarter second dropouts that are just too hard to re-record back in properly. I use Adobe Auditon and Soundbooth for mixing down the files afterwards and pulling out any extra hiss from the lavs.

Both lavalier receivers are XLR inputs on my Panasonic camera and I am looking now to use a good shotgun or boom mic to capture their audio instead. It needs to capture both voices clearly from a distance of around 6-10 feet away with the talent not always looking directly at the camera as they look at each other from time to time when delivering lines. In spite of the floor tile and lack of sound dampening on the walls, the environment is reasonably quiet except for some PCs in the background. In lieu of a boom mic, I am also open to suggestions on some decent lavalier mics instead of what I have.

Can anyone suggest a reasonable audio solution under $500.

Thanks very much in advance.
Jason

Rode has a VideoMic that works well with video cameras. It is a shotgun condenser microphone. They call it a VideoMic.

It worked well with a video camera when I used it.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=videomic

Last edited:
Rode and Sennheiser are good for shotgun mics. I would recommend recording the lavs in stereo, one left and one right, and then edit back and forth as the dialogue demands. If you can manage you can also adapt the lavs to a wired system instead of wireless. Less batteries, no interference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back