Need some Gel Matching suggestions for Washes

Hi Guys,
We have an old theater, with par 64 and Old Century Fersnels.
The theater itself has been using the same methods for years, particularly when it comes to the stage.
Since the former stage manager retirement and unfortunate passing, we have been using the same gel combinations for years. That being said we have a massed a huge collection of various gels fixtures and bulbs as well as other stage related items which, after getting I have been trying to sort through, and get a handle on.
Currently we are running a 3 color wash overhead Rosco 80's (Blue) Rosco 04 (Amber), and What I Believe is Strand or Apollo #6 (Deep Red, Heavy Thick Plastic)
The red and Blue work well either separate or together , or with our flesh and open white from FOH.
However when you add the amber in to any combination it just doesn`t seem to work well, resulting in a unpleasant combination, often overpowering the other colors. We have also tips, and thats another area I would like to find a more complimentary color. I understand the need for a warm color, to contrast the cool of the blue but I am not crazy about the amber. Please keep in mind we have all sorts of shows at our theater from country rock shows to dance, to full theatrical shows, and we tend not to change gels out for each of those types of concerts as rotate quite often.
I would appreciate some suggestions if a warm color that would work with the blue red but not have such a strong yellow or orange tinge to as the ambers.
Another suggestions is most, welcome,
Thanks,
soundguy99

... and What I Believe is Strand or Apollo #6 (Deep Red, Heavy Thick Plastic) ...
This could be the very old Cinemoid 06, or the much more modern (from 1980s to present) Lee 106. As for something to replace the Lux 04, I'd say R20 or R21. Should blend better with your Primary Blue and Red. R04 is great for facelight/frontlight; not so much as part of a three-color downlight/backlight wash.

As for "tips", pipe-end s? I often go neutral or ambivalent here: lavendar and/or N/C. One wants something that stands out, but doesn't clash with, all the other colors in the rig.

Thanks,
I think it is the Cinemoid 06 I believe I have a swatch book some where for those. Thats for the suggestion I will have to see if I have any R20 or R21's , I think were going more the rosco route for filters. We have some many gels, from the past 50 years, from the strand to rosco to lee, I have been slowly trying to sort through them, and organize them. I am at this point juist trying to get a standard going that works well, and that we can stick with for inventory purposes, then I can turn my attention to organizing the other supplies.
As for the tips yes they are Pipe end Tips, I also thought about No color although I like the Lavender route. My Tips are mostly (Pacifica Zoom Spots). If you have a specific lavender in mind that would be awesome.
I want to find stuff that works together and gives us the most flexibility, and then I can work around that.
Thanks again for the suggestion.
soundguy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back