Control/Dimming Need Some Serious DMX Help.

bucwheat

Hi All,

Here is my problem. I currently have a Behringer Eurolight LC2412 controller and don't think its going to cut the mustard. I have 48 LED RGB Par 64's 5 DMX Channels. What I would like to know is what everyone would recommend for a controller. I require dimming, blackout and the ability to create approximately 20 scenes or so. Would like something fairly simple and think a hardware controller may be best for my purposes since it will be used for a rock band. Others have suggested MyDMX and a laptop, but after playing with the demo version of the software I am not too sure about it. Eventually, I would like to add maybe up to 6 intelligent lights. Oh, I also have a Fog Machine and a Dual beam 9DMX channel laser that would have to be controlled as well. So, Please... Give me some suggestions that would work best for me without a huge learning curve. I understand basic DMX principles and I don't mind learning, but I don't want to spend months figuring something really complex out. Many Thanks in advance....:grin:

If it was me, i would prefer the ETC Smartfade ML. Its easy to use, and you can create so many palattes it is not even funny. Give the demo a look and g ofrom there

The smartfade ML is a decent console, but you are limited to 24 pallets of each kind (focus, beam, color). However you can create 288 memories, and also have a cue stack.

No, its not hardware, but I am going to throw this out there..

Chamsys MagicQ (Free)
Enntec Open DMX interface (141 USD)

For an extra grand, you can get a wing with a DMX output and access to 10 playbacks with faders etc.

ChamSys Ltd

It will give you 10 playbacks plus real mixing for your LED's, easy to build chases, etc. Its a bit of a learning curve, but if you go through the manual you will be fine. Give it a run, see what it can do. Its by far the cheapest solution out there and its very powerful. You just need a keyboad that you can gaff up to map all the keys to.

"Give me some suggestions that would work best for me without a huge learning curve."
After Behringer, nothing is a huge learning curve.

- ETC Smartfade ML: It's small, affordable, has a short learning curve for basics and it's powerfull. YOu can hook-up a pc to get a bigger display output and use offline programming.

- Chamsys PC soft + dmx dongle + playback wing

- grandMA PC software (free) + MA 2port node on pc DMX with in and output (about 1.000 euro)-> you can use your behringer DMX controller as a simple dmx trigger board (playback board). For smaller shows it's impressive to use the huge possibilities of grandMA only from a simple pc and simple dmx board.
Several artists overhere are using grandMA on PC and a node together with a basic Smartfade when on tour. saves you transporting a huge GrandMA desk... :)

2Port Node onPC runs with grandMA onPC
- Powerful show controller for smaller applications
- Handy backup solutions for reduced budgets
- 512 parameters (2Port Node onPC) or 1,024 parameters (2Port Node onPC PRO)
- DMX-in for fader wings or merging of DMX signals

http://www.malighting.com

Some of the more expensive software doesn't even need to be owned, you can "hire" it so to speak where you get a licence that lasts however long you specified. Try contacting hire shops around you, its best to find out your options before you decide on a console, as they may not have one.
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back