The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Control/Dimming Need Some Serious DMX Help.

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by bucwheat, Jun 25, 2009.

1. bucwheat

bucwheat Member

Hi All,

Here is my problem. I currently have a Behringer Eurolight LC2412 controller and don't think its going to cut the mustard. I have 48 LED RGB Par 64's 5 DMX Channels. What I would like to know is what everyone would recommend for a controller. I require dimming, blackout and the ability to create approximately 20 scenes or so. Would like something fairly simple and think a hardware controller may be best for my purposes since it will be used for a rock band. Others have suggested MyDMX and a laptop, but after playing with the demo version of the software I am not too sure about it. Eventually, I would like to add maybe up to 6 intelligent lights. Oh, I also have a Fog Machine and a Dual beam 9DMX channel laser that would have to be controlled as well. So, Please... Give me some suggestions that would work best for me without a huge learning curve. I understand basic DMX principles and I don't mind learning, but I don't want to spend months figuring something really complex out. Many Thanks in advance....:grin:

2. MSLD

MSLD Active Member

If it was me, i would prefer the ETC Smartfade ML. Its easy to use, and you can create so many palattes it is not even funny. Give the demo a look and g ofrom there

bucwheat and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Wolf

Wolf Active Member

The smartfade ML is a decent console, but you are limited to 24 pallets of each kind (focus, beam, color). However you can create 288 memories, and also have a cue stack.

4. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

No, its not hardware, but I am going to throw this out there..

Chamsys MagicQ (Free)
    Enntec Open DMX interface (141 USD)

For an extra grand, you can get a wing with a DMX output and access to 10 playbacks with faders etc.

ChamSys Ltd

It will give you 10 playbacks plus real mixing for your LED's, easy to build chases, etc. Its a bit of a learning curve, but if you go through the manual you will be fine. Give it a run, see what it can do. Its by far the cheapest solution out there and its very powerful. You just need a keyboad that you can gaff up to map all the keys to.

5. David Ashton

David Ashton Active Member

truck driver
    "Give me some suggestions that would work best for me without a huge learning curve."
    After Behringer, nothing is a huge learning curve.

6. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

- ETC Smartfade ML: It's small, affordable, has a short learning curve for basics and it's powerfull. YOu can hook-up a pc to get a bigger display output and use offline programming.

- Chamsys PC soft + dmx dongle + playback wing

- grandMA PC software (free) + MA 2port node on pc DMX with in and output (about 1.000 euro)-> you can use your behringer DMX controller as a simple dmx trigger board (playback board). For smaller shows it's impressive to use the huge possibilities of grandMA only from a simple pc and simple dmx board.
    Several artists overhere are using grandMA on PC and a node together with a basic Smartfade when on tour. saves you transporting a huge GrandMA desk... :)

2Port Node onPC runs with grandMA onPC
    - Powerful show controller for smaller applications
    - Handy backup solutions for reduced budgets
    - 512 parameters (2Port Node onPC) or 1,024 parameters (2Port Node onPC PRO)
    - DMX-in for fader wings or merging of DMX signals

7. NickJones

NickJones Active Member

Some of the more expensive software doesn't even need to be owned, you can "hire" it so to speak where you get a licence that lasts however long you specified. Try contacting hire shops around you, its best to find out your options before you decide on a console, as they may not have one.
    Nick