Microphones Need suggestions for durable headset micsX

Tom Moloney

Hey all!

I work at an amusement park and I am looking for headset mics, ideally similar to the countryman e6 and the shure MX153 that can hold up to the abuse of 4 shows a day, 7 days a week.

Thanks for your help!

We just broke our last MX153 and it held up for about 2yrs, so I decided to try out the HMD1000. Sound quality wise I think it sounds pretty good. It is a bit more rigid than shure but so far it's holding up pretty well.

We bought the $50 Pyle knockoffs, and the adjacent-on-eBay $25 chinese knockoffs, and both were as reliable as the e4 in our admittedly low-stress environment

What sort of faults are you seeing in your mics? If it's a cable or connector short, that'll be an expected repair on most mics and can be mitigated by looking at the movement of the actor and trying to find a better placement on the transmitter. If it's a sweat out, the Point Source CO-8WD are a little better at dealing with moisture, but I haven't been completely sold on their factories QC - that being said many people I work with have been sold on them as a more inexpensive alternative to the DPA 4066.

It's a little pricier than the E6, but the Sennheiser HS 2 and the HSP 2 can put up with a TON of abuse, from moisture to cable strain. The wiring is the same as the MKE2, which braids two tiny metal rods around the conductors to give the cable extra rigidity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back