Need suggestions for wash gels.

Hey friends!

I'm a undergrad lighting designer. I'm currently working on a design for a set that will be painted purple and splattered to imitate a galaxy. I've never dealt with purple before, and I'm hitting roadblocks in my mind when trying to find good gels for both a wash and some specials.

Do you guys have an suggestions on colors I should look at? We have a large inventory of gels, though we can order more if needed.

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing your suggestions!

EDIT: I should clarify, this show deals with magic and will have lots of special effects. It's a semi-serious show with small hints of comedy.

Last edited:
How "purple" do you want to go. From the Lee gamut I'd look at 136/137 for fairly pale lavenders, 180 for slightly deeper, the famous 181 Congo Blue which, in certain circumstances almost looks like UV, through 799 for a really deep colour.

Take a look at the Lee and Rosco swatches on the websites or (better) order up some samples or a swatch book from your local friendly supplier.

Be aware of the transmission of the deeper colours. You'll want a big, punchy light behind 181 or 799 (only about 2% or less of the light gets through).

I am here to echo Andy's comment. Get the paint elevation or a paint sample of the floor and get thee to the light lab!!! If you don't have a light lab, set up a light somewhere, focus it on the sample or elevation and start playing!!!

DIdn't anyone ever tell you you're not supposed to wash gel?

I suggest any one of a myriad of lavenders, from surprise pink R51 thru Indigo R59.

Yeah, it's expensive but I was told "French method dry clean only". /nudge, wink, satire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back