Need to build a mirror wall. Hints?

Hello all - I need to build a 24" x 4' funhouse mirror. I tried Roscoe Thin Silver (shrinkable stuff) over a curved frame and a straight frame following their instructions. It is cloudy - any ideas why? Using for short term production, but reflection needs to be better than that! HELP!

Hello all - I need to build a 24" x 4' funhouse mirror. I tried Roscoe Thin Silver (shrinkable stuff) over a curved frame and a straight frame following their instructions. It is cloudy - any ideas why? Using for short term production, but reflection needs to be better than that! HELP!

I'm not sure how to help make what you already have work for you, but I can say that acrylic (plexiglass) mirror is ideal for your situation. You can get it in very thin sheets, so it is really flexible. Usually, this is an undesirable effect, but it will probably work to your advantage in this situation.

Word of warning (as I think I may have said in my post above): Don't attach it using Mirror Mastic or any other similar adhesive. It will eat through the reflective coating and show through from the front.

Here's my original post from above:

Another option might be mirrored plexi but again you really need a good substrate to keep it from getting all fun-house on you.
I used this once during a production of A Chorus Line and Van is right -- that stuff is hard to keep flat. That said, it's available in 4x8 sheets, so it's a good "wall" option so long as you can keep it flat. We never did come up with an adhesive safe enough for attaching the stuff. Mirror Mastic is great for glass mirrors, but damages the acrylic to the point where you can see the glue lines in the reflection. We ended up sandwiching it between 2x2 frames, but alas, we had to live with the "fun house" look.

In hindsight, maybe a silicone adhesive would have worked, or maybe even a roll on contact cement. Something you can apply evenly to every square inch would be best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back