Need to replace a dead hung batten

Doowop63

Long story even longer. Theatre had entire counter weight system removed. Seveal single purchase line set replaced at that time. What was thought to be one 40 ft batten was dead hung. Unfortunately it is actually 3 separate pieces cobled together. We have other full length batten also dead hung. What would be the easiest was to replace the defective batten. Grid is 60ft above floor, batten is aircraft cable and chain wrapped . I should note it is the the extreme rear of stage, not overhead of performers currently.

The background you provide raises eyebrows and leads me to suggest hiring a good rigging contractor to do this, and hope they inspect all the rigging.

How many lines? What is it loaded with? What does cobbled together mean? What type and size pipe is it? If properly supported - 10' on center and no more than 3' at ends perhaps - it could be as simple as installing proper splice sleaves from a lift.

If it hasn't been inspected in a year - all the rigging - get it inspected.

The background you provide raises eyebrows and leads me to suggest hiring a good rigging contractor to do this, and hope they inspect all the rigging.

How many lines? What is it loaded with? What does cobbled together mean? What type and size pipe is it? If properly supported - 10' on center and no more than 3' at ends perhaps - it could be as simple as installing proper splice sleaves from a lift.

If it hasn't been inspected in a year - all the rigging - get it inspected.
It was a very reputable company that did the dead hang. It is supported every 10 ft. Chained and aircraft cable to grid. Instead of having 2 20 ft sections sleeved in the center, it is 3 separate pieces with c clamps holding them together. There is just a piece of muslin hanging on it as a blind.

I can't picture c-clamps joining pipe but that seems to be at least part of the problem. Proper pipe sleeves do not compromise the batten strength at the joint.

Thank you all for your insight into this issue. I know that we will be replacing the batten in question. All of our other battens are actually sleeved internally with double roll pins. I have no idea why this one was left the way it was. It will be remedied asap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back