Needing Kliegl help

john1954

Hello group. I am brand new to this forum, so I will try to repost my Kliegl question in the right place. Thanks to those for showing me where to go (allright, be nice now...).

I am working at a PBS television station, which has a studio loaded with Kliegl fresnels and scoops, originally obtained from another broadcasting station that dissolved in 1969.
I am trying to find parts for the Kliegl 16-inch scoop, model #3451. I particularly need to replace (or find someone who can fabricate) the procelain (ceramic?) assemblies with electrical contact pins that attach to the FHM lamps. Some of the pins are scorched, burned, melted, etc.
Please correct my erroneous terminology. I think they are called a bi-pin porcelain lamp base, 3.25 inches long, with "spring pins" or tangs that make contact with halogen lamps with a R7S base (such as a FHM lamp).
Any help is appreciated with this Kliegl product. If I need to repost this in another area, please let me know.
Many thanks in advance for any assistance.
john1954

Kliegl has been out of business since - Oh the early 80's ?, mid 80's ?.

Thus there is no real source for parts, excepting dimmers.

You might have luck tracking down the socket thru Sylvania/OSRAM, as it's likely that Kliegl used an off-the-shelf item. Mogul B-Pin is really out of date though.

One thought would be to contact Altman and explain your problem. They might well have a newer socket design that you could hash into place, it's not as if you need to get the lamp into an exact focal point on a scoop. You'd need different lamps though.

Maybe Ship would know some more about what exact socket the fixture uses. Won't be a short answer I'd bet, but I'll learn something - guaranteed !

SB

If the fixture you describe uses a FHM dual ended RSC (R-7s) lamp, than it's not so ancient - Altman still uses similar lamp bases in some of their scoops. Look towards the #161 from Altman for parts - I expect that it's going to be using a similar lamp base.

Yep, RSC lamp bases are not the greatest. You can do some brass wire wheeling and silicone fiber polishing of the lamp base, than coating it with high temperature coating of the now bright work but it's often not worth it, unless what's shined up was not too bad to start with. Big thing is not to re-install trashed lamps into new or polished lamp bases - good way of trashing a perfectly good lamp base, and it's not as easy to save old lamps.

Of concern and caution is the general wiring of the Kliegl fixtures... good brand, old technology and concepts for doing so in use. Beware of asbestos in special practices in solving such problems elsewhere mentioned on the forum about treatment on.

This and grounding and other concepts such as re-reflectorizing the lamps, grounding, providing strain reliefs etc. It's possible that your fixture could be using a high winged lamp RSC base - forget what the fixture is, believe it's from Colortran/Leviton but would have to check. Could be this base in use I'm thinking: RSC w. Wings Altman #58-0030 Extended RSC Base 1Kw. Scoop (Stucchi http://www.aagstucchi.it.com/ #216/TF, UL Lampholder 250̊C 5" TFE). In any case, most all scoops and fixtures use the same standardized parts.

Beyond this, I would need photos or to play with the fixture. For starts, since you are amongst the club, go to the http://www.klieglbros.com/ and find your product. Also the guys that run the site are very useful in helping fellow owners of the product by way of all assistance needed. After that, if totally un-standard or unique, there is a chance that: Vara-Light/Dimatronics/Hub Electric (Old parts Dist., Owned by Altman) 6207 Commercial Rd. Crystal Lake, Il. 60014. (815)455-4400 will have what you need, advice or the fixture manual for your lights. Good company, never contacted to them but one to my hart in a place to go.

As for the lamp base, I doubt it's a very special one. Osram, Buel, Stucchi, Ushio, Buhl, Bryant, Bender, Wirth amongst others are all well known for brands of lamp base, any if not all supplying various lamp distributers, lamp parts distributers and stage and studio companies should have what you are looking for. For the most part, it's all standardized parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back