Neil Simon dies

The NY Times commented that at one point in the 60's there were 4 of his shows running concurrently on Broadway and that he (likely) set the record for the most performances of his shows at 9,000. Remarkable.

RIP Mr. Simon

As I posted on Facebook yesterday:

"Somebody that I'm married to and myself took the fight scene from "Barefoot in the Park" all the way to first place at State in 1984. < my Senior year in HS. Yes I'm that old.> I toured "Same Time Next Year" up and down the Oregon Coast with my father in law and the Mark Allen Players for a summer. I can't even remember all the Simon I've worked on over the years. Yes, "Serious" theatre people will say he's trite, or pedestrian, but you know what? He got butts in seats. How many theaters seasons were saved 'cause the 'blue hairs' came out in droves to see The Odd Couple?

Good night Mr. Simon, and thanks for the laughs, the paychecks, and the memories."

SF author Robert Heinlein used to say that his idea of the height in prose was "Pay To The Order Of."

AIC is import.

It's not an accident how many houses alternate hard, straight drama with CATS, A Chorus Line, and West Side Story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back