NEMA 5T-20 ?

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
I recently found a reference to a 2P&G stage pin connector as a NEMA 5T-20. Is this a standard, a proposal, or just wishful thinking by someone?

It's not listed in NEMA WD-6 (Revised 2008). That's the NEMA spec for "Wiring Devices - Dimensional Specifications." Maybe a currently proposed change?

I think there was an article in Protocol talking about the proposed standardization of stage pin connectors in order to get a NEMA listing. I'll have to find it later...

I recently found a reference to a 2P&G stage pin connector as a NEMA 5T-20. Is this a standard, a proposal, or just wishful thinking by someone?

The 5T20 reference is part of the ESTA/ANSI E1.24 standard for pin connector configurations. This standard is currently undergoing a revision to make it acceptable to UL, and it will hopefully adopted by reference into the UL498 Standard for Attachment Plugs and Receptacles.

The 5T20 reference has nothing to do with NEMA. However, the current revision of E1.24 is going to bring it into format alignment with the NEMA WD6 document. That is the document UL uses when testing NEMA connectors to the UL498 standard. The re-formatting of E1.24 will make it easier for UL to use with UL498.

What does all this mean?

Currently, stage pin connectors are only tested by UL with mating connectors by the same manufacturer. Since there is no common configuration or dimension chart used by UL, there is no guarantee that a connector from one manufacturer will work well with that of another manufacturer. This can be seen in melting connectors, connectors that fall apart, or connectors that are hard to mate.

After UL adopts E1.24, all pin connectors will presumably be re-tested after a period of time to the E1.24 dimensions. This will insure safer interoperability between connectors of different manufacturers.

ST

Users who are viewing this thread

Back