Nema L5-20 to 5-20

Ech725

Hi Guys,

I'm moving a shop to to a newer (Smaller):cry: shop. I went over to check it out. The table saw I'm moving has a twist-lock L5-20 on it. The new shop the does not have twist lock receptacles and just has regular 5-20 receptacles.
So can I simply get an adapter from L5-20 to 5-20?
Or should I just cut it and rewire a 5-20?

I appreciate the suggestions/knowledge. Thanks. :)

Hi Guys,

I'm moving a shop to to a newer (Smaller):cry: shop. I went over to check it out. The table saw I'm moving has a twist-lock L5-20 on it. The new shop the does not have twist lock receptacles and just has regular 5-20 receptacles.
So can I simply get an adapter from L5-20 to 5-20?
Or should I just cut it and rewire a 5-20?

I appreciate the suggestions/knowledge. Thanks. :)

Either approach is code compliant. Changing the plug is cheaper. Just make sure it's a 5-20 and not a 5-15 outlet.

ST

Without changing the outlets, wire and possibly breaker you're out of luck.
Not necessarily. It's very common to use a 20A breaker, 12ga wire, and multiple 5-15 receptacle s. Changing the outlet to L5-20 or 5-20 might be perfectly acceptable. Only your electrician knows for sure.

...The table saw I'm moving has a twist-lock L5-20 on it. ...
What is the faceplate rating current draw of the appliance?

(Possibly) Amusing anecdote: The first time my venue rented Showguns, they came (from the AV company) with L6-30 plugs on them. Everyone was in a tizzy as to how to power these, saying that L6-20 wasn't big enough. Until I pointed out that the fixtures' cords were 16/3! (AV companies like to use L6-30 on their larger video projectors, whether they actually need 30A or not.)

And sometimes you really just don't want people plugging other stuff that puts you over 20A or 30A into the circuit.

Another amusing anecdote: We rent three 1/2 ton chain motors. 2 to haul up the aluminum truss we use to support 3 small light ladders and cable runs and 1 as a spare/for special rigging. At the beginning of the season 2 came with twist lock plugs (can't remember which specific one because I didn't write it down, a not so usual one for the purpose). *Scratches Head* That wasn't what we specified. Call the rental house- they don't even stock 1/2 ton motors with those specific connectors. Twist lock of another type, yes, those, no. No they don't have pickles for them (or anywhere for that matter). Another shop (that handles our sound needs), had accidentally ordered pocket pickles with those connectors, and brought them with some replacement sound gear they were bringing us, thus allowing us to get our truss off the ground and out of the way. The shop handling our lighting is still confused as to how in the world we got those, much less them having the pair. As far as anyone can figure is someone rented them to augment their setup, realized they had a controller that didn't fit, and changed the connectors as the cheapest way to go about it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back