The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Neutrik cable?

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by salsa88, Apr 18, 2008.

1. salsa88

salsa88 Member

I cant remember what this cable type is "attachment"
    Is it called Neutrik or banana plug or what?

Attached Files:

2. avkid

avkid Not a New User Fight Leukemia

Stagehand/ Production Company Owner
  3. Eboy87

Eboy87 Well-Known Member

NL2 Speakon. It's speaker cable

4. museav

museav CBMod CB Mods Departed Member

Acoustical, audio and audiovisual consultant
    The generic term would probably be "Speakon", made by, and a registered trademark of, Neutrik.

5. salsa88

salsa88 Member

Thank you, we always called it a Neutrik cable but I had a feeling that it was just made by them.

Another quick question, how do you set up a projector to run with a sound console? I know that i have to run VGA out of my laptop into the projector for the image but how do i get the audio to run through the console? I just searched the threads and didn't come across anything that answered it.

6. avkid

avkid Not a New User Fight Leukemia

Stagehand/ Production Company Owner
    The easiest thing would be just to use the mini stereo jack on the laptop with an adapter to plug into a pair of RCA jacks on the mixer.
    [​IMG]

7. salsa88

salsa88 Member

If I'm running it from the booth to the stage where the projector is can I run a XLR cable from an XLR box off stage and use/make a XLR to RCA adapter? As the XLR out/in box from off stage is wired into the console in the booth or is that just imposable?

And to wire the adapter It should be:
    XLR PIN-2 connects to the center contact of the RCA that carries the signal.
    XLR PINs-1 and 3 are wired together to carry the Ground via the Chassis.
    That should connect to the Surround of the RCA.
    Correct?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  8. howlingwolf487

howlingwolf487 Active Member

You can, but it won't be pretty. A stereo line, though having 3 legs, is still unbalanced due to the signal's need to be carried on the shield/ground.

unbalanced+distance=not cool

You'll need to balance the signal if you want it to make over any large distance. One of these units placed in-line (as close the device's output as possible) should do the trick:
    Whirlwind PCDI ($145USD) pads, mono summing, balancing
    ProCo iFace ($90USD) same as above, no pad, though (why it's cheaper)

Both units feature RCA and 1/8" inputs and XLR outputs (yes, mic level) as well as ground lifts (laptops can be bad buzzers sometimes).

There are probably others out there, too...but I highly recommend both units based on firsthand usage.

9. salsa88

salsa88 Member

Thank wolf, I'll look into the adapters. Its great being able to talk with others about stuff like this. Try having a conversation about making a XLR to RCA adapter to a roommate thats working as a cook.. just not as helpful as you guys :lol:

10. Eboy87

Eboy87 Well-Known Member

Salsa, I highly recommend the Whirlwind box. I've been looking into getting one for myself when the funds allow it.

EDIT: I mean the Whirlwind PCDI

11. salsa88

salsa88 Member

My old theater had a Whirlwind box its was silver though not sure if that makes a difference.. there very handy to have around, I could never remember what it was called till now.
    thanks,

12. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

It probably was a DI box, or a direct input box. Used to take a guitar,keys, whatever and make it mic level to send back to the console. The stereo PC boxes are a fairly new thing to come along. You used to just use two DI boxes, on for each channel.

13. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

Should send that to whirlwind... I am sure countryman never gets reviews that good

14. TimmyP1955

TimmyP1955 Active Member

That's because they did not do it rightly. They used a 1/8" TRS to 1/4" TRS. They ran a stereo output into a mono balanced (differential) input. This would cause all program material that's panned to the center to be cancelled out. They needed a 1/8" TRS to dual 1/4" TS cable, to feed the stereo out into two channels of the console. (This is a very common error.)

15. herr_highbrau

herr_highbrau Member

Lots of us in Edinburgh have bought them whirlwind thingys. Beautiful bits of kit!

However, if on a budget then 2 DI boxes and adaptors will do the job. But hey, splash out - you only live once!

16. norwintd

norwintd Member Fight Leukemia

17. museav

museav CBMod CB Mods Departed Member

Acoustical, audio and audiovisual consultant
    It looks like the AV Direct has only a mono output while the pcDI is switchable stereo or mono output, that could be a major consideration for many applications. I personally do not like that the AV Direct has a level control on the box, I can see some situations where it might be useful but many others where it is simply another place for someone to mess with the level.