Control/Dimming Neutrik EtherCon

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
So a while back I noticed that LEX was making robust cat5 cables with Neutrik EtherCon connectors. I liked the idea of these cables, especially the fact that the connectors locked just like any XLR.

Well I recently just realized that Neutrik EtherCon connectors, at least according to their literature, can be installed on already crimped and existing cat5 cables. Thus all I need are some of the connector shells, instead of new sets of cable. Yay.

We used them for communications between projectors, the media server, and the focus laptop. It really is good to know that when you fly something 25 feet in the air, move it around and focus it precisely so that the projectors will blend nicely, that the whole thing isn't depending on that flimsy retainer tab that plain RJ45 connectors come with. Also they seem to keep the insulation from pulling away from the connector, a pet peeve of mine not much more. Lastly they just look cooler, and lets face it budgets are tight but cool is always an important thing. SIDE NOTE: I know Neutrik claims you can put it on existing cable, but every connector they sent us we had to cut the RJ45 connector off and put on a new one.

I was looking at their website, and there seems to be four different models, some that claim to be able to be installed on existing cable, and others than need new RJ45's.

Porkchop, that's why I love the idea. I'm already noticing the insulation pulling out on the cat5 to my DMX nodes, and I just don't trust those plastic tabs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back