Never Overlook Colors!!!

TechDirector

Somthing that I just now noticed is that when I'm thinking about recording a light cue for a show or other event for chorus or somthing else, it's like I forget to put color in it. It's like I've never seen them before. By adding color to your scene, it adds depth in the emotions for the scene. So if your new at controling lights and/or you are the light designer for a show, remember to put in colors!!!!! It's what makes the show look good.

I agree... many times a light blue and red wash can really spice up a chorus or band event. But make sure that there is always enough light that the musicians or singers can still see their music!!

If you have the capability, one thing that I have done in the past is to buy 2 snowflake gobos and project those onto the side of the auditorium to add a nice touch to the winter band concert! (Plus it puts you in the good graces with the band or chorus director.. we didn't get along very well with our chorus director)

Gobo's?

I have the exact same thing (i guess they're called gobo's) i dont' know where they go either!!! i thought they went to maybe the spotlight (hoping it did) but i couldn't find a way to fit it in (they were too small). I have like maybe a whole filing cabinate full of them. We don't get along with our chorus teacher either. lol.

Gobo's are for ellipsodials...

Gobos go into ellipsiodal (also called lekos or Source Fours). They are held in place by gobo holders... gobo holders run between $5 and $15 a piece and are needed to hold the gobo in place. You can find them at any lighting shop. check out BackStage for a great intro tutorial on lighting instruments. Hope this helps!

dvsDave

Chorus teachers are kind of like actors, you arnt intended to get along with them. Some of them can be great producers though and have great ideas about what looks good on stage. If you don't think they do the best thing you can do; somtimes is to not talk to them and just make it look good on stage.

One of less expensive lighting technologies really gaining ground in conventional theater are color scrollers. Talkabout flexability for side lighting during dance numbers or the need to change moods! People are all excited and crazy about getting automated lights and such, when really in conventioanl academic/community theater venue a few well placed colors scrollers could make all the difference. :D

Michael
http://homepage.mac.com/szpisjak

lucky

we have to twist arms to get replacement bulbs form our school district, so consider yourself lucky!

Color scrollers

The biggest problem I have had w/ scrollers in the past is the noise they make. If you don't have some serious space between the audience and the scrollers, you are going to have a noise issue. A few years back I was working on a cruise ship. Our main theatre sat 1200. In the light booth at the back of the balcony with a tiny window I could hear the overstage scrollers going through their cycle.

Re: Color scrollers

Jo-JotheSoundDog said:
The biggest problem I have had w/ scrollers in the past is the noise they make. If you don't have some serious space between the audience and the scrollers, you are going to have a noise issue. A few years back I was working on a cruise ship. Our main theatre sat 1200. In the light booth at the back of the balcony with a tiny window I could hear the overstage scrollers going through their cycle.

Definately agree with the noise issue. If you are going to use scrollers, at least put some money into it and get quiet ones, not the loud $100 ones.

Hmmmm, maybe all of you people just drew all the mean choir directors. The choir director at my school is the closest ally of us techies in the administration (of course, she also directs the fall play, so that might have something to do with it :) )

I also identify with Dave in that it is impossible to get money for stuff from my school. It isn't so bad that we have to crawl on the ground to get replacement lamps, but it isn't much better than that either.

Do you hire in gear for shows... they often give you replacements for their lamps and sometimes they dont get returned... 8O haha nah... Your lamps shouldnt burn out too often depending on usage, general school use could see lamps last a fair while. Why not just do a bulk order of lamps so that way you 1) get them cheaper and 2) wil have a supply for a fair while!

cruiser said:
Do you hire in gear for shows... they often give you replacements for their lamps and sometimes they dont get returned... 8O haha nah... Your lamps shouldnt burn out too often depending on usage, general school use could see lamps last a fair while. Why not just do a bulk order of lamps so that way you 1) get them cheaper and 2) wil have a supply for a fair while!

If they do not have the support/budget from the school it will be very hard to do anything.

Yeah true..

You need to show the school just how much they need you.. go on strike and not do lighting for one of their events.. haha nah dont do that!

Just out of curiousity, what kinda gear do you have...

If anyone is wondering why I am able to reply to posts so quickly.. its cuz at school we have a laptop program, and they recently put in wireless internet. its great!

Well, I was stuck in a regular, amber, blue, red type of scheme and the last show we had I got sick of it and openede our color books and sarted puting in other colors, man that looked great! Really cool stuff came from that...amazing!

Our interim principal supports the arts, so he's pretty open as to what we need...the problem is that the district doesn't have much money now...much less to spend on gels, gobos, etc. :(

and on the subject of choir directors and fun gel colors:

We have an evil choir director as well (dubbed the "Choir Nazi"), so for the spring Jazz Festival our old TD (hired back for that show) put her in a blood-red special. Then he pulsated it and said: "the devil is talking, the devil is talking..." It was hilarious! :twisted:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back