New Band Teacher Thrown into teaching Technical Theatre

Hello, everyone!

I've recently been asked to teach drama, drama tech and journalism as a part time teacher in a parochial school. I don't have any drama tech experience. I'm an English educator.

Based on the advice in this forum, would you guys suggest that someone like me not voluntarily take a job like this? I would be doing a one act play in March and a musical in May. Someone would come in and help with the vocal training for the musical, but otherwise I would be working on the play and technical aspects in school in my classes. I would be training a group of 14 students to do the lighting, sound, scenery, props, costumes, etc.

Can this be done? Can a person with no experience but a lot of passion and desire train kids to pull off solid productions?

I have purchased about 7-8 books and am currently doing my research. I'd love to hear your advice before I accept this job offer.

Would you accept a position that included teaching that which in my day was called Industrial Arts (wood shop, metal shop, drafting, etc.)?

"...train kids to pull off solid productions." Your primary goal should be SAFE productions, so I hope one of those books, which every school library should have, is PRACTICAL HEALTH AND SAFETY GUIDELINES FOR SCHOOL THEATER OPERATIONS - Assessing the Risks in Middle, Junior and Senior High School Theater Buildings and Programs, by Dr. Randall W. A. Davidson, (aka "Dr. Doom").

No, I wouldn't take such a position.

And I do appreciate the irony in that statement. :)
Going along with the theme of this thread, often schools as more of educators than they are used to giving. The school seems to think that I can handle the productions, but the nervousness comes from the total lack of experience I have building sets.

There are several people who have offered to volunteer their time and experience to help, though.

Sometimes i wish my director had no experience what so ever, i think with the proper prior learning you should be able to pull off a safe and education theater environment just make sure that the school knows that they should not expect things like phantom of the opera to come out of your productions right away, if you feel comfortable teaching kids how to use a saw correctly and safely as well as building "fake" walls that are sturdy enough to hold up to some quite forceful actors then i would say go for it, the best way to learn a new skill from what i know is to jump into it. although your start is very good, grab some books and start reading, I would also go see other productions in the area, and ask (I am assuming this is a multi school environment) a director from another school for some tips and advice.

Seconded to all the books referenced. Whenever I get in a pickle I generally turn to one of those titles.

As far as working with high schoolers, I have found that it varies a great deal, as with any other crew you may work with. I run a scene shop for a summer camp, where other than myself and two other professional carps, we manage 12-18 students aged 12-16. Most important thing we emphasize is safety, eyewear, ear protection, gloves when flying, etc.

I've found that there are often students who once trained I can leave alone to jig out scenic pieces, where others I need to supervise just covering foam pieces with Foamcoat. If you can give students basic skills, and keep it simple as people have said, time will allow you to learn the rest. I totally agree to be very aware of your means. Great advice. Overtaxing yourself and your resources only leads to mistakes and dangerous situations.

Kudos to you for helping out. It's a big undertaking to jump into theatre like that. Hope to see him around the forums.

Surely the school should be made aware that this guy needs training? It's not his fault. The school are putting their students' lives at risk by appointing some one with no experience of technical theatre and they would be liable if something happened, unless your friend has told them that he has got experience just to get the job!!!!

It's a great thing for your friend and nice that you are helping out, maybe get the school to hire you so that you can get paid for the help you are providing?

Maybe the school are not aware of the health & safety implications of operating a theatre space. I know my school were not and they were quite surprised when I created the H&S Document for our theatre.
Don't let the school take advantage of your friend (or you) They will be able to find the funding for this as there must of been some one who did this role before?

Cari, you have some decisions to make regarding the time and attention you could be spending with this new position and program. I wish you well, commending your servant's heart, as this will certainly prove to be a labor of love (and perhaps some job security) as time invested is difficult to estimate.

Not spending my days working in the theater, I can merely offer some 'helps' regarding gobo and gel suggestions for a number of high school productions. Before the flaming arrows arrive, these are merely suggestions for teachers in a position such as yourself; a long way to go and a short time to get there.

Apollo Design | Downloads

The Apollo Playbooks summarize general lighting ideas for productions such as:

A Streetcar Named Desire
Arsenic And Old Lace
Barefoot in the Park
Cat on Tin Roof
Death of a Salesman
Of Men and Mice
The Crucible
The Diary of Anne Frank
The Glass Menagerie
The Miracle Worker
The Odd Couple

If you choose to take the job offer and aren't yet sure which productions are in your league, please browse these Playbooks for ideas at your leisure.

Good luck with your decision,

My high school had a music teacher doing "tech theatre" and it resulted in a few hospital trips and a lot of broken gear. They also got to the point they pretty much don't do any student run shows anymore (I get frantic calls on the few shows that they end up with a student doing it because they refused to let me really train my assistants before I graduated.) I'd say they are spending ~$20,000 hiring technicians for shows and maintenance because they can't be bothered to hire a real TD/ Tech Teacher.

I'd say they are spending ~$20,000 hiring technicians for shows and maintenance because they can't be bothered to hire a real TD/ Tech Teacher.

Your frustration is understood, really. And while there is no perfect solution, it may help for the interim.

While this may seem somewhat disparaging for the school, the flip side is that local theater technicians are helping the school with quality workmanship and earning (at least part) of a living in the meantime.

Starving theater folks must eat too!

I'd say they are spending ~$20,000 hiring technicians for shows and maintenance because they can't be bothered to hire a real TD/ Tech Teacher.
Unfortunately, they're getting a bargain. A real tech teacher would cost upwards of $40,000 per year.

And I'm guessing the amount spent per year for 'technical services' is based upon the frequency and number of technicians that come to the school to assist. (Right?)

So how did this turn out?

In Texas you have to take the EC-12 Theatre test to earn the correct certification to teach theatre. It does cover some safety issues such as the fly system.
What we've had to do is explain to the adminstration that the counter-weight fly system, scene shop equipment, and electrical system can be extremely dangerous if improperly used. I don't allow anyone who hasn't passed my safety test, both written and practical, to operate the fly system or use any tools. I had the district safety person help me create the tests. They have to make a 100 to pass. These tests are then copied and kept on file in both theatres and the adminstration building.

I wish mine was good for life... Now saltwater dimmers: where the safety choice is to make no choices at all.

There are some of us old farts with Secondary Theatre Arts 6-12 certs still kicking around. I got in when the certifications were good for life and never had to be renewed. I think the test covered pin rails and saltwater dimmers... ;)

Want to take the new test? I believe the Praxis Series test would be the most popular... The most annoying test series ever... :p

Praxis 0640 Theatre

Want to take the new test? I believe the Praxis Series test would be the most popular... The most annoying test series ever... :p

Praxis 0640 Theatre

Wow. Those sample questions are brutal.
All I know about Praxis is that it was the Klingon Moon that exploded in Star Trek 6. Their economy was decimated!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back