New Camera Accessories

urban79

Not exactly my area of expertise, but of course falls to the theatre person. We have a new big camera (Sony HXR-NX100). Now I need to order some of the "stuff" that goes with it!

I've already decided we need an ATEM Mini switcher (probably a Pro), and I know I need at least one larger battery. What I'm looking for are recommendations for good tripods, a case, and other accessories that I might not know I want, but can't live without. Right now this is a portable unit that will be used for everything from broadcasting meetings and presentations to potentially a studio setup for morning announcements.

Budget: money matters of course, but I'm willing to spend more to get something that will last and be more useful than making do.

Thanks!
Chris

I don't have specific recommendations for tripods, but this is definitely not an area to cheap out on if you want to be able to track movement smoothly. It should be big and heavy with a really good fluid head. Also, it's really helpful to get a remote zoom controller that can be mounted on the handle of the tripod. Being able to access all the manual controls while panning & tilting is pretty important for capturing live performances... less critical if you're just setting it up for static shots most of the time. I've been looking into camera options in anticipation of a hybrid model with live-streamed events onstage, and I've been frustrated that all the good ones in this price range have this same compact form-factor. Maybe I'm just old school, but I find the bigger, shoulder-style cameras allow for a lot better control.

I'll be curious to hear how you like this camera once you have a chance to experiment with it. The optical zoom is a little less than I would like for where the camera will typically be set up, but the 1" EXMOR R sensor could theoretically give pretty good low-light performance.

I don't have specific recommendations for tripods, but this is definitely not an area to cheap out on if you want to be able to track movement smoothly. It should be big and heavy with a really good fluid head. Also, it's really helpful to get a remote zoom controller that can be mounted on the handle of the tripod. Being able to access all the manual controls while panning & tilting is pretty important for capturing live performances... less critical if you're just setting it up for static shots most of the time. I've been looking into camera options in anticipation of a hybrid model with live-streamed events onstage, and I've been frustrated that all the good ones in this price range have this same compact form-factor. Maybe I'm just old school, but I find the bigger, shoulder-style cameras allow for a lot better control.

I'll be curious to hear how you like this camera once you have a chance to experiment with it. The optical zoom is a little less than I would like for where the camera will typically be set up, but the 1" EXMOR R sensor could theoretically give pretty good low-light performance.
Possibly you're looking for something solid and reliable like this:

PRODUCTS

• WHAT CAMERA, WHICH HEAD?
  • FIND A SERVICE CENTRE
  • DEALER/DISTRIBUTOR FINDER
  • SIMPLY PERFECTION
VINTEN

proxy.php

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Sachtler is my favorite brand of tripod. Generally I was using it with an ENG camera with full studio kit. However, I fully agree that you want something with heft for stability and a good fluid head for smooth movement and remote for zoom/focus.

A switcher is good, but think about what you will be switching. Remember what signals you will be working with. Not all switchers are scan converters or have scaling capabilities.

If you will use it for recording, you may want a different microphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back