New Comp Limiter

Our Dbx 1046 Quad Comp Limiter decided to go out last week right before a show, so we are needing to replace it. We are thinking we want to replace our 4 channel with two 2 channel comp limiters so if one goes out we can still use the other. So my question is does anybody have any suggestions on 2 channel comp limiters. Thanks in advance for all the help!!!

Budget? BSS if you can afford it!

Budget? BSS if you can afford it!

BSS does not make any analog gear anymore. I own 3 of the 404 units and they are on their last legs. I wish they still made them... they sound great. I'm still trying to find a nice compressor in a 4 banger package that sounds as good.

Now, as far as the DBX stuff goes unless its a 166 variant most guys won't touch it. Drawmer does make some nice stuff. It all really just comes down to budget. Also, when you say "went out", what does that mean? A power supply problem is pretty easy to fix. Most of the time compressors die they just stop compressing.

Assuming repair is neither possible, nor an option, I'd take a look at the DBX 1066 for a 2 channel unit over the 166 or 266. Not a lot of folks are making offboard gear anymore, since the demand has gone way down.

Thanks for the info guys!! When I say "went out" I mean it wasn't outputting any sound. I haven't had a chance to go back and take a closer look at it yet. Hoping to be able to do that later today early tomorrow morning. Not sure if we even need to replace it but just trying to get ideas if it comes to that.

Good news!! After looking at our comp/limiter closer we have discovered that a fuse had blown. Now if we can only figure out what caused the fuse to blow. Hopefully it wasn't anything to serious! Once again thanks for all the help!

Sometimes fuses just fail for no discernible reason.

If the unit is duff, it might be worth the cost of repair, depending upon the bench rates in your area.

The Rane G4 is a very nice piece. My favorite is the long discontinued TC Triple C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back