New Console

I'd take an Express over a 300 anyday of the week.

Same here. But that's just because I know how to use it very well, and I am comfortable stepping up to it to program a show without looking at the manual.

You know what I don't like about it Charc? The fact that it doesn't really type like I speak. And I hate that the command line doesn't clear automatically after entering a command. Drives me batty.

...I was reading a PLSN article last night and came across the term Tracing. Is it what I think it is? Basically reverse tracking?
Yes, tracking only works forward. Tracing works forward and backwards, so you don't have to find the first cue where the channel moves, just any one in between two moves. Cool idea, huh? Too much for Charc to handle, though.

The school only has 96 dimmers, and no plans for movers. The school was upgraded about 10 years ago from an old analog dove board to the strand 300. I have nothing against the express, and i'm not going to go recommending a Congo or Ion to a school that does not have any movers, nor plans on owning any movers. Its just way to much over kill. They are happy when all of their cyc lights work.

You know what I don't like about it Charc? The fact that it doesn't really type like I speak. And I hate that the command line doesn't clear automatically after entering a command. Drives me batty.

Specific examples?

35 @ 47* ?

Time 3 *?

Sorry I don't follow, I don't use the more complex commands on a regular basis.

Also, the command line not clearing is not terrible: It lets you review your last action, incase of a typo.

Girls, girls- you're both pretty, and you both have dates to the prom.....

This is a classic example of why there are different console manufacturers. Everyone works different ways. Different console makers cater to different aspects of the way people work. There is no one console out there that is going to be able to be everything to everyone. It's a great time to be in this industry with all of the new consoles with their new features that are coming out. Let's please just let this one go, ok?

This is a classic example of why there are different console manufacturers. Everyone works different ways. Different console makers cater to different aspects of the way people work. There is no one console out there that is going to be able to be everything to everyone. It's a great time to be in this industry with all of the new consoles with their new features that are coming out. Let's please just let this one go, ok?
Nah...I'm not being prom dress about it.....Actually at the time of that posting I'd just run a focus call with one and I hate the extra key stroke. That's me. Charc needs to make sure he typed it right ;) silly youn'in.

So for the record...Tracing=the win.

Dang finally something has one cooler function than MA!!!!

A month away! :lol:

Nah...I'm not being prom dress about it.....Actually at the time of that posting I'd just run a focus call with one and I hate the extra key stroke. That's me. Charc needs to make sure he typed it right ;) silly youn'in.
So for the record...Tracing=the win.
Dang finally something has one cooler function than MA!!!!

Actually......

Tracing only works backwards. Tracking is forwards and tracing is backwards....

So do you still win...?

Well, on the topic of this "Tacing" and the Strand Vs. ETC debate (again) Strand has had Tracing built into their software for a while. Strand calls it Trackback though, and you can access this feature by hitting [SHIFT] [TRACK].

Well, on the topic of this "Tacing" and the Strand Vs. ETC debate (again) Strand has had Tracing built into their software for a while. Strand calls it Trackback though, and you can access this feature by hitting [SHIFT] [TRACK].

Alex, be nice, not everyone is lucky enough to have a Strand. :shock::shock::shock:

Okay, so guys, I'm not really a Strand fanboy. I just think the 300/500 is overlooked by most. You're not giving it enough credit, get your head out of your Express. I would go Ion>Palette though.

Thus far in my career Strand has been nothing but trouble and ETC has been nothing but a life saver. Just my opinion -- I'll be specking an ION for the renovation to my HS. Been working on Express and Expressions desks all my life -- love the HOG, but think I would take an EOS over any HOG 3 console any day. However, if I was handed a Vista....:)

I have to agree with jezza, I've never had a show with a strand that didn't give me problems of some sort. Although I admit I am not as familiar with the strand 300 as I am with any ETC console. But I'll still take a strand over a colortran any day. I too love the HOG3...and not hog2 but thats also because of lack of working experience on hog2, I used it briefly then got the hog 3. I'm pretty happy to be getting an ION, only draw back is, I heard the EOS has motorized faders like a digital sound console, something I'd been wishing for since I first used a digital sound console....I'm sorry..I go both ways...haha...But an Ion seems alright so I won't complain.

I have to agree with jezza, I've never had a show with a strand that didn't give me problems of some sort. Although I admit I am not as familiar with the strand 300 as I am with any ETC console. But I'll still take a strand over a colortran any day. I too love the HOG3...and not hog2 but thats also because of lack of working experience on hog2, I used it briefly then got the hog 3. I'm pretty happy to be getting an ION, only draw back is, I heard the EOS has motorized faders like a digital sound console, something I'd been wishing for since I first used a digital sound console....I'm sorry..I go both ways...haha...But an Ion seems alright so I won't complain.

Motorized faders are a nice feature on a sound console w/o an outboard monitor as it gives you visual feedback as to how you've set the channel's level -- they are very useful for multiple page/layer set ups. In the lighting word though, unless the console doesn't have an outboard monitor (which very few "real" consoles don't) I don't really see their advantage. You have visual feedback from the console as to the state of the rig on the screen. I find that the resistance that a motorized fader creates isn't always best for setting levels -- they seem like an unnecessary frill on a lighting console IMO. Go with the ION you won't be disappointed.

I am not trying to start an ETC/Strand debate, but I just think it is interesting that so many people have had issues with Strand consoles. I would take a 300/500 over any ETC console pre EOS/ION. I have found more ways to take out ETC consoles (especially ObsessionII) than I have found for Windoze computers. That and ObsessionII's version of "Full Tracking Backup" doesn't really makes sense (if you want to know my full view on that, just send a PM).

Now, after seeing EOS and ION, I would happily go back to "the other side" as-it-were, though I have not had any hands on time with the new Palettes.

I can't really speak for the HOG line as I have less experience with them.

Actually......
Tracing only works backwards. Tracking is forwards and tracing is backwards....
So do you still win...?
It wasn't an expression of my winning but the feature winning.

And yes it still wins.

Motorized faders are a nice feature on a sound console w/o an outboard monitor as it gives you visual feedback as to how you've set the channel's level -- they are very useful for multiple page/layer set ups. In the lighting word though, unless the console doesn't have an outboard monitor (which very few "real" consoles don't) I don't really see their advantage. You have visual feedback from the console as to the state of the rig on the screen. I find that the resistance that a motorized fader creates isn't always best for setting levels -- they seem like an unnecessary frill on a lighting console IMO. Go with the ION you won't be disappointed.
What I've always thought would be best with motorized faders on a light console is using multiple sub pages, and it could change like layers on a sound console. I think i agree with you on the resistance from the motorized faders, but thats a trade off. It's never been a matter of seeing the levels i'm at, but theres nothing I hate more than working with multiple sub pages and getting tangled up in highest takes precedence. When trying to set a look and change page and the sub i need is already up, and i can't use it. So if it remembered where it was digitally, I think that problem would be solved for me at least.

...When trying to set a look and change page and the sub i need is already up, and i can't use it. So if it remembered where it was digitally, I think that problem would be solved for me at least.
Good idea. I rarely use more than one page on an Expression, and on Hog/GMA, it's template page, one page per song, and "page holdover if active."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back