New Console

thelightguy87

So I just found out we are getting a fully loaded Ion with playback wings to replace an old flaky Colortran Encore XL. What I'm looking for are comments about the Ion. Do you like it? Is the software similar to the expression software at all? I'm used to an ETC Express, Colortran Encore, and Innovator, and HES Hog3 IPC. We haven't put it out to bid yet, so if I decide it may not be the right console we can change the specs for the bid. So comments, concerns, pet peeves that drive ya nuts about it. Also comparison to Eos. I've been interested in the Eos for a while and the Ion is in the Eos line, but I'm just not familiar at all about the Ion and the ETC website doesn't give me the info that helps me decide if i'll like it or not.

Thanks!

Download the EOS Client software, and run it in ION offline mode to get a feel for command structure, etc.

For wings, I'd make sure that there are two 40-fader wings in the spec, but that's just me. But I also really like the Insight (108 subs). If one will do ya, then that's fine. The nice thing is that you can take one or both of them off at any time if you want to fit the console in the tight space on the tech table.

I had an Ion 3 hr. demo at the ETC NY office 2 weeks ago and to put it simply - I was blown away. I've also spent a lot of time with the Eos off line editor

Things I like that save time vs. an Express syntax:

- It knows that 3 means 30, thus Ch 1 at 3 Enter brings Ch 1 to 30. @ 05 means 5%.

- With a touch screen, or better yet, two - which is essential, you can touch channels on the touch screen to grab channels. 1 and 2 and 5 and 15, etc.. @ Full Enter. Or touch the Tombstone (the name for the channel display section) at 1, then the thru button, then Ch 15 and it knows 1 thru 15. This can be really fast, IMO

- Once you hit Record 1 enter, time 5, the look is loaded on to the fader (a feature that can be turned off). No more loading Cue 1 GO, release. It also knows that when you hit 1 @ again, it knows you are talking Channel.

You can call up multiple Addresses at the same time. Dimmers are now called Addresses, for lots of good reasons.

- It deals with assorted accessories and attributes as sub sections to the Channel - which now deals with level.

- It deals well with and separates Intensity from Position, from Color, from Beam functions and you don't have to think ONLY.

- Encoders

- Direct Selects, especially with the touch screens

- Shortly, cues on playbacks

- Sometime in the future (we hope), + and - percentage on channel levels.

And tons, tons more. Simply put, a vastly superior console that will serve you well.

The negatives. They are still developing a lot of features. Currently there are issues related to how the console reads playback wings that are not physically connected (end to end), but instead use a USB connections. I would suggest reading up on the ETC Users Forum for more info.

They are currently at version 1.3. I'm guessing that by version 1.6 things will be further along where I'd like. That said, I could use the Ion quite easily right now.

Steve B

I had an Ion 3 hr. demo at the ETC NY office 2 weeks ago and to put it simply - I was blown away. I've also spent a lot of time with the Eos off line editor
Things I like that save time vs. an Express syntax:
- It knows that 3 means 30, thus Ch 1 at 3 Enter brings Ch 1 to 30. @ 05 means 5%.

Ive been doning this on an express for a few years. Most of the time I forgot until I punch in 1 thru 5 @ 5 enter and the stage is way brighter than I thought.

You'll get used to it really quick, I recently trained 4 people on the basics and 2 indepth and all were using express boards previously and picked up the basics within the hour and the 2 that I went into more detailed things with became quite used to it by the end of the night. It's fairly basic once you get it and you'll get it.

awesome, thanks for the responses, I'll get the software tonight when I get home. I'm glad its similar to the express a little, as much as I want to learn a new console, I don't have the time to learn a new console, just something I can jump into and have a good idea of whats going on.

The Eos/Ion is actually more like Obsession than Express(ion). The most difficult challenge, which becomes pretty easy, is remembering to press [Enter] to terminate every command, except:
• Out
• +%
• -%
Level
• Actions from the direct selects
The above are all self-terminating, no [Enter] required.

The Express(ion) always annoyed me slightly as sometimes you need [Enter] and sometimes you don't.

A huge benefit of Eos/Ion is never having to press [Channel]; as how many times have you been in Cue mode when you thought you were entering a Channel, or vice-versa?

Be sure to join the ETC Community Forum. You'll learn much there, but it's not quite as fun as ControlBooth. :p

Express and Expression will respond to either [x] [AT] [3] [ENTER] or [x] [AT] [3][0]. The difference is that a 2 digit number is "self terminating" and a single digit number requires the [ENTER] to know you are done typing.

Thanks -

Sarah

The Eos/Ion is actually more like Obsession than Express(ion). The most difficult challenge, which becomes pretty easy, is remembering to press [Enter] to terminate every command, except:
• Out
• +%
• -%
Level

The Express(ion) always annoyed me slightly as sometimes you need [Enter] and sometimes you don't.

A huge benefit of Eos/Ion is never having to press [Channel]; as how many times have you been in Cue mode when you thought you were entering a Channel, or vice-versa?
Be sure to join the ETC Community Forum. You'll learn much there, but it's not quite as fun as ControlBooth. :p

Psht, Strand 300 looks nicer everyday.

It's something I think high schools and small colleges should really take a good look at.

Psht, Strand 300 looks nicer everyday. It's something I think high schools and small colleges should really take a good look at.
The 300 that you know no longer exists. The 301 is NOT a valid replacement. Comparisons between Ion and the Palette Family are inevitable, but I prefer the expandability and configurability of the Ion, as well as the encoders and touch screens.

The 300 that you know no longer exists. The 301 is NOT a valid replacement.
You mean that little thing replaced this?
proxy.php

That's just silly.

Express and Expression will respond to either [x] [AT] [3] [ENTER] or [x] [AT] [3][0]. The difference is that a 2 digit number is "self terminating" and a single digit number requires the [ENTER] to know you are done typing.
Thanks -
Sarah

Geez, I never new that. All those cueing sessions in the early days on the Express, having to forget my Pallette speak, only to find out some 9 years later......that all I had to do was tap my ruby slippers....

Actually I found the Ion refreshing and logical - just the fact that my brain was always wired to understand Pallette. Which is why the Congo's 50 - Level - 1 - Channel, or whatever, was simply too much for this old fart.

Grin

SB

• Out
• +%
• -%
Level
Be sure to join the ETC Community Forum. You'll learn much there, but it's not quite as fun as Control Booth.:p
Derek (see I spell it right when I quote you and look at it!) I was reading a PLSN article last night and came across the term Tracing. Is it what I think it is? Basically reverse tracking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back