New ETC Fixtures (Including ETC FRESNEL)

The other point is that there is now a replacement (well, sure there was the 7" Selecon, but this is 'Merica, and we love our HPL's) for the 1K 8" Fresnel (75Q).

As long as this thing actually has an even field. They said that with the parnel too. I will be interested to see what they are doing to get that type of light out of the HPL. So, ETC types, is the parnel going to stay around?

Added to that, when are we going to see ETC have something to combat this:

proxy.php

or this:

proxy.php

Last edited:
As a thread hi-jack, I'd love to see them fit a Desire in a Revolution yoke. Maybe put the ParNel lens in front and motorize it !. Sell it for $1600 or so.....

As a thread hi-jack, I'd love to see them fit a Desire in a Revolution yoke. Maybe put the ParNel lens in front and motorize it ! ...
THAT was uncalled for, mister. (But since you opened the door, why not control it with an original MicroVision and name it Irideon?)

As far as the Desire LED goes, the picture shows a gel frame on it. Why would you want to put gels on the LED? Isn't one of the main ideas of LED lights, that you DON'T need to use as many gels/not have to change gels.

Not Color Gels, but Diffusers. Check out this article to see how GM used Diffusers from Apollo to great effect with LED fixtures.

On top of that you also have to realize the the body is the exact same thing across the line. So, the Desire Studio (just white LEDs) is going to need the gel slot.

Thanks. Thats what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if the diffusers would work the same way on an LED.

And, I din't know that they were making a white only light. I knew that they had one meant for clear white light, but I didn't know it was ONLY white.

Last edited:
I would assume the fresnel. That's an expensive fresnel, but the other two new products couldn't possibly be that low. Mind you, noone in their right mind pays MSRP so I'm guessing they will be closer to $300. Still on the expensive side, but if it performs, only having to stock one lamp is appealing.

With a BVV running at around 40 bucks... ya, it is.

More expensive? Yes. More advanced, also a yes. As others have said, being able to change a lamp without altering the unit's focus, or attaching a scroller and being able to properly balance it on the unit are MAJOR time saving features (Even the excellent locking mechanism on a S4's tilt is subject to dropping focus or being harder to focus when the unit as a whole is out of balance). Additionally, during the primary focus being able to set the beam angle and go, rather than fiddling with it, or having to get a wrench on it to fully lock or unlock makes a big difference. And those Effers get friggin hot, especially 750 watt units! Oh, and price savings by only having to order HPL's in bulk? Sweet! I'm currently specing out and getting bids on units to replace our end of life package of Altman Shakespeares and StarPARs. A fresnel unit that isn't a PITA to work with would save time and money for our in house producing company, and time and money for our renters.

The only concern I have is that I haven't seen, yet, a barn door with lockable doors. Anyone know of one?

I would assume the fresnel. That's an expensive fresnel, but the other two new products couldn't possibly be that low. Mind you, noone in their right mind pays MSRP so I'm guessing they will be closer to $300. Still on the expensive side, but if it performs, only having to stock one lamp is appealing.

If you want a quality fresnel that's a price right in the sweet spot. $399 means street price around $300-$350 depending on the usual factors. The Selecon 6" is $334 and the 7" is $411 (on Production Advantage). The old Strand Fresnels cost even more than that. Yeah you can get a crappy Altman for $150 but you get what you pay for.

If you want a quality fresnel that's a price right in the sweet spot. $399 means street price around $300-$350 depending on the usual factors. The Selecon 6" is $334 and the 7" is $411 (on Production Advantage). The old Strand Fresnels cost even more than that. Yeah you can get a crappy Altman for $150 but you get what you pay for.

Well, sure... But "you get what you pay for" has different meaning to different folk...
You could go out and play soccer with a 65Q, and then hang it... You wouldn't want to do that with an Acclaim :lol:

Well, sure... But "you get what you pay for" has different meaning to different folk...
You could go out and play soccer with a 65Q, and then hang it... You wouldn't want to do that with an Acclaim :lol:

This is totally not the case. Good luck hanging anything with the broken foot you will have.

This is a really terrible idea. The 65Q's balance and shape are completely inefficient when it comes to soccer games. Now hockey, on the other hand... I'll bet it would slide on ice very nicely.

I don't think Gafftaper was taking a stab at the overall quality of Altman's base-level fresnel. I think it's more of a 'features' thing. Street price of an Altman 65Q is in all actuality around $100, and for that you get something that produces plenty of controllable light, but you have to deal with a wingnut on the bottom for focusing and a hinged front door that may or may not disrupt your barndoors and other accessories. You also lose the fourth clip, meaning you could have a wayward front-end accessory if the fixture is focused straight down -- this, I believe, is one of the worst things about the light. Everything else, I could live with. I usually keep my fresnels on one setting since they are generally used as toplight in my designs. Now, Altman's 1KAF fresnel - don't even get me started. What an awful focusing mechanism. I'd take 65Q's over that anyday, honestly.

On to ETC's light -- interestingly the counterbalance yoke design is nothing new. I'm going to have a hard time backing this up, since the company is out of business, but Packaged Lighting Systems actually used a similar design on many of their fresnels and ellipsoidals. I believe it was a milled piece of aluminum with a slot down the middle, which allowed the yoke to be slid forward and backward, changing the overall balance of the fixture. They also had these "pole focusing" lights which had some sort of a eye-bolt looking thing on the bottom. Apparently, you could use a special pole to focus the fixtures from the ground. Of course, this was totally dependent on the fixture being hung more or less horizontal which is only useful half the time when you're dealing with overhead lighting on stage.

I'm looking forward to testing out ETC's lamp changing mechanism. It appears that it could be a bayonet-style system, requiring a quarter-turn or so to get the socket out. Hopefully this doesn't seize up like the mechanism on the Strand SL. I'm sure ETC has tested it extensively, and in many different conditions, so I doubt it will be a problem.

Other than that, they have used a dichroic reflector which will be interesting to see. I'm assuming the lens is just a standard fresnel lens. I'm surprised - seems like they would have come up with some radical, new hi-def, ultra-hip fresnel wave lens or something.

Now, ETC, make us a true, HPL CYC light, or make us some stripped lenses for the multipars :twisted:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back