New Guy, Old Fixture

TheCo

Hey, all, just joined and have a question. I have an old Kliegl studio fresnel labeled as taking lamps with the ANSI code BSP, which I can't find anywhere. it's a g 9.5 base, and I'd like to use it "decoratively" in office rather than for stage--any ideas on what lower wattage lamp might do?

Welcome to the Booth, TheCo. Many of us share your affection for the re-use of "vintage" fixtures. (See http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/6102-old-theatre-lights-can-useful.html for an, admittedly extreme, example.)

I can't find any information on the BSP lamp. But I have a 4.5" Kliegl #3604 Fresnel [1978 datasheet links to klieglbros.com: Front, Back.] whose faceplate lists a BSP, 200 hour, 500W lamp. Is this your fixture?
1666d1234380514-kliegl-1355-ers-3609-8-fresnel-help-kl3604.jpg

Minus the lampshade, of course.;)

The lowest wattage, commonly available, G9.5 base lamp would be the 500W EHD, still too much for "decorative" use. Also, the filament structure isn't really suited to the spherical reflector of the Fresnel, although mine has a slightly oval-shaped, 1.5" reflector. I would consider replacing the socket with a medium screwbase (E27 socket) which would provide for a wide range of 25-100W lamps, and even CFL or screw-in LED lamps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back