new headphones for a sound designer

josh88

Remarkably Tired.
Fight Leukemia
Hey folks, I've been looking to buy a nicer set of headphones for awhile. I've done a lot of sound design for college and am thinking that since I'm moving on to bigger and better things, hopefully, its time I upgrade some. So I want something that is circumaural or covers my whole ear, and something preferably between $60-100 in price. If you've had good experiences with things cheaper or a bit more expensive thats good too.I've looked at some sennheisers, sony, bose and a few others and read reviews its just that people have so many different preferences.

Just wondering what folks around here have had good/bad experiences with and if anybody has suggestions on a direction to look. Thanks for any input folks might have.

I LOVE my Sony MDR 7506. I have had them for years, they are very roadworthy and still sound great. I have a couple of pairs for my small studio space at home and regularly get compliments on who well they sound; very accurate reproduction of sound.

~Dave

First of all, you should ONLY use headphones for checking one thing on solo, not to mix EVER. Just thought I would say it.

Now the headphones......

I currently own a pair of Audio-Technica H-M30 headphones, they cost me around $100 AUD, and they have been very good, nice noise rejection, loud, crisp and surprisingly good frequency response. If you are after something a bit more what is used professionaly, you might wan't to try the Sony MDR-7506. They retail at about $350 AUD, and these are considered the industry standard.

Best fidelity, no isolation: Grado (any model, but preferably above the 125)

Good-VG fidelity: M-Audio IE-10

Good-VG fidelity, best isolation: Extreme Headphones EX29 (latest version only - gold lettering I believe)

Mediocre fidelity, mediocre-poor isolation, PITA coil cord: Sony 7506

Perhaps something from one of these threads?
Headphones (cans?!)
Inexpensive but decent monitor headphones?
Headphones for live rec.

My suggestion? Sony MDR7505. But I also like the idea of a combination intercom headset/headphones, as discussed in this post.

and here I'm usually good with searching forums for posts before starting something :rolleyes:. Thanks for those links, and thanks for the input so far. I do some film work and soundtracking as well where I'm just listening to potential music to use, recording audio, these would mostly be used for playback, wouldn't really be trying to do live mixing with something like this.

I'm a huge fan of my Ultrasone Pro550's, but they're probably out of your price range. The Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's are pretty good, and so are the Sony MDR-7506's.

For the price, I'd recommend the Sennheiser 280's as well. Although, if you can find some change under the couch then the Audio Technica M50 is great. I had my 280's stolen a couple of years ago and decided to buy the M50's "sound unheard." Even at dealer cost (I'm a Sennheiser dealer) I would rather spend more money for the AT's.

Edit: I see that the price is very similar now. When I bought my AT's they were around $200. Even more reason to buy them.

Thanks for this forum! I was wondering the same thing. I honestly have been using a pair of giant Panasonic headphones from the late 1970s that I love, but they are starting to disintegrate. It's not due to cheapness, just love of the sound from them. I am not sure if this was a good model, or just a freakishly good pair.

Keep in mind that the primary requirement for a set of cans to be used in recording, editing, and mixing is that they provide flat, accurate response.

The idea that a set of headphones sound "good" is not relevant. If I listen to a piano in the open air, and then listen to that piano miced with cans, I want them to sound the same. Not good, not better, the same. Mic choice, placement, signal path all play a part in what I hear, but I don't want my earphones to add to that colorization.

Most headphones in the $100 price range I have found to be mid-scooped, and what I hear is boom/hiss. The bass is exagerated, and the highs are pinpricks.

If my headphones are lying to me about what something sounds like, then anything I try to do will be tainted by this lie.

I have abandoned cans altogether and am now exlusively using in-ears. My current choice is the M-Audio IE-30 due to my budget constraints. They provide better isolation, and a flatter response than any headphones I have ever used.

Right now I'm working mostly in location sound recording for indie films. We are trying to avoid ADR as much as possible so capturing dialog cleanly and accurately is vital and I can wear my in-ears all day long, and focus very clearly on how the microphone (Sennheiser MKH-416) is behaving at the end of the boom pole.

Hey folks, I've been looking to buy a nicer set of headphones for awhile. I've done a lot of sound design for college and am thinking that since I'm moving on to bigger and better things, hopefully, its time I upgrade some. So I want something that is circumaural or covers my whole ear, and something preferably between $60-100 in price. If you've had good experiences with things cheaper or a bit more expensive thats good too.I've looked at some sennheisers, sony, bose and a few others and read reviews its just that people have so many different preferences.

Just wondering what folks around here have had good/bad experiences with and if anybody has suggestions on a direction to look. Thanks for any input folks might have.

Keep in mind that the primary requirement for a set of cans to be used in recording, editing, and mixing is that they provide flat, accurate response.

The idea that a set of headphones sound "good" is not relevant. If I listen to a piano in the open air, and then listen to that piano mic'd with cans, I want them to sound the same. Not good, not better, the same. Mic choice, placement, signal path all play a part in what I hear, but I don't want my earphones to add to that colorization.

I agree, except IMO sounding good and sounding the same as the source go hand in hand.

I am continually amazed at the amount of BAD sounding stuff out there with scooped mids, bass greatly exagerated, and highs cranked up. Like putting the perverbial smiley face on the graphic. I've even had people tell me that's the way the eq "should" be set. I read reviews on equipment (specifically in-ear monitors) and the common complaint is "they don't have enough bass". I try on the same in-ears and smile at hearing the tightness and clarity of the lower octaves. I'm finding the today's listeners want a bass heavy experience and they tend to migrate towards speakers, headphones, and monitors that give them that exagerated bass. They smile and say "dang, these sound good". When in fact, they are listening to something that is very inaccurate in it's reproduction properties.

I agree, except IMO sounding good and sounding the same as the source go hand in hand.

I own a pair of Sennheiser HD-25 II and love them. I find them very flat and detailed, especially in the low end. This particular design is more of ENG work, meaning that it is very light weight and can wear it for hours without fatigue. It is an on ear design, which was a bit of a draw back for me, but it does mean it fits in my bag better.

These cans I was able to get for about $175. If are able to get anything closer to this price point, then spend it. Headphones are an investment and you will have a good set for years.

My friend owns a pair of Sennheiser HD 280's, and they're great. My ears don't fit comfortably inside them though, which is why I own a pair of HD 215's. They have a fairly flat response, and decent isolation. I can use them for mixing down effects, or for cuing tracks while DJing. They're solid headphones for $60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back