new idea

andie

so you know in the booth when you turn all the lights off all you have are black lights? well i dont know if anybody else does but anyways, in our booth we have three fake black lights(lightbulbs painted purple...can you say cheap??) and one real black light. and sure, it gives off some light but not very much. i was bored during one of the assemblies and me and my buddy who was doing sound invented lighting and sound boards that glow in black light. like, lime green background, orange sliders and buttons, white letters...it would be soooo awsome!! someone should invent it.

sorry about this not being all technical about lights...

Now if i was mister "No Fun" that didnt enjoy theatre techs I would have to reply with a gay ass comment like ""Well, if you were smart you would just turn on your little lites!" BUT WHAT FUN IS THAT???

I totally agree have fun with mixing just so long as everthing is right whether it be lights or sound, Property damage probably isnt a good thing though!

On the contrary I enjoy having some fun every once in a while, I'm a monitor engineer and like to just turn my little lites off or face them up like the "curly (bat) call" so then the fun becomes locating the right knobs in the dark. Usually though ya get to go off of stage wash and crazy movers all over the board. And besides the more you use your eyes while mixing the more your ears become distracted. NOT the best way to describe it but kinda like subtracting senses to make others stronger like chics closing there eyes while

(urr... edited by Ship, - sorry; in while curious in profound statement of concept, not persay rated PG as it were for statement here).YEAHHAHAhfhalfhls;a!!! (Let's say toes curing and a sense of touch and very valid in sensory perception but inverse with the statement of focus on needing more focus on seeing thus not hearing much.)

Ok, so with some constructive help from the senior team of this site I have decided to reword a few things here. Lets start with the line, "And besides the more you use your eyes while mixing the more your ears become distracted."; and we'll continue on from that. Basically think of subtracting some sense to highten other senses. I know a lot of promoters that will only higher blind piano tuners simply because their abilty to litsen is far greater than most, besides that they rely on touch more than we do. TRY IT SOMETIME sit in your house litsen to things, then close your eyes and litsen to the same amount of things. I bet your sense of direction and depth bearing quickly become in focus. I really hope this makes sense for no matter what kind of technician you are.

Meanwhile back at the Farm where I need to get back at shelling corn.

Your buddy curly!

Last edited:
i was bored during one of the assemblies and me and my buddy who was doing sound invented lighting and sound boards that glow in black light. like, lime green background, orange sliders and buttons, white letters...it would be soooo awsome!! someone should invent it.
sorry about this not being all technical about lights...
LSC have kinda done that with their new XTC, uses inbuilt LEDs rather than external blacklights but kinda gives a look like you describe all on its own
proxy.php

holy crap that's wild!!(mind the language) our lighting board is not nearly as complicated as ours. we have an ETC 24/48. i don't know how old it is...but it's not nearly as cool as that one.

Now if i was mister "No Fun" that didnt enjoy theatre techs I would have to reply with a gay ass comment like

gotta be a dick here.

you work in theatre, would you actually use those words? seriously, if you were on my crew, you would have been fired by now.
normally i will tryto be nice, but that was just a ass thing to say, do you go around calling whites, blacks, hispanics, asians, women, men, jews, cathlocs, muslims, hindus, and other various groups those names?
if you do, well, serously, you should just drop off the face of this earth, if you dont, then why the hell would say something like that?

you work in theatre, gay, lesbian, bi, trans men and women in theatre are not uncommon. learn to control your language.

LSC have kinda done that with their new XTC, uses inbuilt LEDs rather than external blacklights but kinda gives a look like you describe all on its own
proxy.php
That board should come with sunglasses.

LSC products are pretty good - I use their maXim with PatPad moving light control, great stuff. I have however had some headaches with their dimmers.

We don't even find it necessary to use a blacklight - just turn off the fluro and use a dimmed normal incandescent bulb behind a plastic panel. Does the job fine.

gotta be a dick here.
you work in theatre, would you actually use those words? seriously, if you were on my crew, you would have been fired by now.
normally i will tryto be nice, but that was just a ass thing to say, do you go around calling whites, blacks, hispanics, asians, women, men, jews, cathlocs, muslims, hindus, and other various groups those names?
if you do, well, serously, you should just drop off the face of this earth, if you dont, then why the hell would say something like that?
you work in theatre, gay, lesbian, bi, trans men and women in theatre are not uncommon. learn to control your language.

I'm sorry that you took it that way, I had no intention of demeaning coworkers! My point was merely to say that I respect theatre techs, and the comment that I made in refrence to my self the whole "NO FUN" part is based upon an idiotic comment that I would make to a younger technical person.
I have full respect for people in this industry no matter what walk of life they come from, in fact I have several friends in this industry that are those of whom you speak and would not have taken that derrogatively.
Sorry if I have caused you any inconvienience.

What's next? A lighting board that is mobile phone like in that you can change the colour scheme when you so desire?

I would tend to think that a console of any sort that had orange faders or whatever would not be too aesthetically please when the lights were on. In the dark it might look cool, but I think it could just plain be ugly under normal light.

but who honestly cares what the lighting board looks like? it serves a purpose, it isn't a piece of art.

It obviously isn't a deciding factor, but it's a very nice addition. The Martin Maxxyz, for example, looks totally sweet (while also being an amazing board)

If I have to look at a board for hours on end, then it needs to at least be neutral if not nice to look at. But that just my 2 cents.

yea, but we're a group of creative people, if the board is plain and boring, we can personalize it and make it look awsome.

That board should come with sunglasses.

It looks really bright in the pic ... but in real life, its not nearly so bright, so you can get away with using the console without wearing welding goggles

LSC products are pretty good - I use their maXim with PatPad moving light control, great stuff. I have however had some headaches with their dimmers.
We don't even find it necessary to use a blacklight - just turn off the fluro and use a dimmed normal incandescent bulb behind a plastic panel. Does the job fine.

I love the maXim 24/48 with PatPad, so easy to learn and use (the two instruction CDs LSC sent me were really helpful, esepcially not having regular access to the console to learn it ... haven't tried the XTC either. Haven't used the LSC dimmers though ... always seem to have the Jands racks wherever I am working. A bit off topic but what kinda problems??

Last edited:
proxy.php

I'd say whoever designed that board was on "XTC"...

I'd have to agree there!

That board is obviously not mainly intended for theatre work.

It is more suited to the high-end DJ market, and it has the looks to match.

That board is obviously not mainly intended for theatre work.
It is more suited to the high-end DJ market, and it has the looks to match.

I'd have said it wasn't for high end DJ rather it appears to be a solely moving light console, something very few DJs tend to have a need for. Just my 2 cents.

I'd have said it wasn't for high end DJ rather it appears to be a solely moving light console, something very few DJs tend to have a need for. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, going by their website and associated docs, I think LSC intend for it to be their flagship "moving light" console, over and above any of their products with the PatPad unit anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back