New Job opportunities, please help!

snarefire

So i am currently A stage manager for an upcoming show in July. While running productions, i have become fast friends with the lighting dude, who has offered me a job working with him, as an av guy. Now i can't remember the name of the company, but from what i can remember they do mobile lighting, av, and rigging for various events, including CPAC. Now given that i have worked in a theater for a while now, i think i can handle the general lighting, and audio visual stuff. What i am wondering about is that he mentioned when in doubt **** the truck. What i am concluding this is that we will running power from a truck into a building, which i haven't done before. So here is my question to the rest of you, I want to train up as much as possible before i even go in for training, and would like any and all information and tips you all might have. Thanks

What i am wondering about is that he mentioned when in doubt **** the truck.

Your new friend was referring to the correct direction to lay cables. A somewhat more PC version of that statment is "Pins to Power". Any male end of a cable goes to the wall/power source, and any male end of a dmx cable goes towards the console. The truck here is figurative. Next time someone says something that you don't know what they're talking about, don't be afraid to ask them. It is the questions that aren't ask that cause problems.

And the reference goes back to the fact that in large venues, outside truck/trailer mounted generators are brought in. Hence . . . the male end of the cable always goes towards the source of the power/signal.

Last edited:
Your new friend was referring to the correct direction to lay cables. A somewhat more PC version of that statment is "Pins to Power". Any male end of a cable goes to the wall/power source, and any male end of a dmx cable goes towards the console. The truck here is figurative. Next time someone says something that you don't know what they're talking about, don't be afraid to ask them. It is the questions that aren't ask that cause problems.

That'll get him yelled at the first time he runs 300 feet of feeder straight to a generator with ground/neutral reversed. ;)

I'm adding the caveat of "Most of the time" the male end runs towards power.

The way I was taught was: "Like in life: The Females hold the power and control." Which I like better, and helps when figuring out some data cable runs too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back