New LED-based ERS

Re: I just finished my prototype led leko

I am looking to produce the light source and control board. The prototype is for a retro-fit into existing altman fixtures. I signed an nda with altman but they where not interested. I posted it here because I know with input from fellow lighting experts I can overcome obstacles.

I need to find a person/company to help me with the digital dimmer and dmx imput It needs.

Don't worry, he's already here and already read your post. If he's interested, I'm sure he will contact you.

That being said Kelite is right, why are you giving away what could be a critical breakthrough and could make millions of dollars?

Also note that Altman, ETC, and Strand aren't stupid. They won't admit it of course, but they've had their R&D departments secretly working on their own LED fixtures for a long time. We haven't seen any yet because they haven't been able to create a product that they feel fits into their product line with the right quality and brightness at the right price yet. It might be ready next year or it may be waiting for some other critical piece of technical innovation first. In short, these companies have invested a lot of money and had their top design engineers working on developing LED products for years. Not to be rude, but they probably just aren't interested in your fixture because they already have something superior to yours.

On the other hand there may be a critical idea that you have that they haven't thought of, so don't give up.

What would be more useful is a picture of the beam on a flat surface and perhaps with a gobo installed to see if you managed to eliminate the multiple shadows LED gives you. That really will make or break a concept for a "LEDko" But in any case I admire your drive!

I have been looking for a reflector and actually trying to get a custom rgb led built in china so it would be full color mixing. I have the optics 80% configured but I will probably have to have a custom body made if I plan to take this to market. People seem to like my first generation version of this which only had 1200 lumens. Mostly camera men bought it to replace hmi's or their flash. I definitely want to make it digitally dimmable because I found a cool wireless dmx receiver in italy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Multiple images? Oh.. that only happens if you have the light collimator too close or too far from the led. I think that the big companies are trying to skip white and go directly to rgb....But the problem is they are all so dependent on the color kinetics 3 led cluster for color mixing. Hopefully they will realize that the can custom build a single led with multiple chips.

Multiple images? Oh.. that only happens if you have the light collimator too close or too far from the led. I think that the big companies are trying to skip white and go directly to rgb....But the problem is they are all so dependent on the color kinetics 3 led cluster for color mixing. Hopefully they will realize that the can custom build a single led with multiple chips.

The problem with custom building LEDs is that: A. They are expensive, B. LED technology is changing so fast that they will be obsolete in 6 months, C. Entertainment Lighting is a tiny fraction of the worldwide use of LEDs and thus does not drive the R&D that other applications do, and D. Multiple diodes on a single chip have significant limitations because of the heat generated.

Actually I have found a chinese company willing to do the custom work for a couple of thousand. With proper heat sinking the excess heat is minimal. Trust me, I have 4k worth of broken equipment to prove it. Led's don't change that often, it is only limited by the end users limited imagination. Stage lighting hasn't changed in 10 years because we are all so skeptical and perfectionists. I have professional photographers using my less powerful/smaller lights as hmi's. Imagine how much easier it is for them to use only 50 watts or less. I'm working on getting into a couple of museums in DC. We'll see.

With proper heat sinking the excess heat is minimal. Trust me, I have 4k worth of broken equipment to prove it.
Did you notice the signature on that previous post you just responded too? I'm pretty sure ETC has spent a few $100k more than you on developing LED fixtures.

Remember, it's not in their best interest to release a product that will potentially kill their cash cow unless it's REALLY a 100% replacement and in a price range that will still keep them competitive in the market. You are a small company, gambling much smaller amounts of money. You can afford to take risks and be nimble. A major manufacturer has to be 100% sure before they make revolutionary changes.

Our standards are very high for ETC. We expect companies like AMDJ, Chauvet, and the Chinese manufacturers to experiment and develop fixtures. Some will be good, some won't. But when ETC releases an LED fixture, it's got to be AMAZING because that's the standard we expect from them. If ETC's first LED fixture isn't as bright as an incandescent Source Four and doesn't have excellent optics, it could seriously damage their reputation as the big dog in town.

I read the post. And I understand their business model. I am just an avid lighting "geek" who wants to have my LED ERS field ready and in use. Honestly the etc leko is the gold standard. But with all of the smaller events I do, museum set ups, photo shoots the standard luminary output and power consumption of a leko is not efficient enough. The people I build for, myself included need a green solution now to attract more clients. Right now you can use par 38's with 120w edison bulbs or buy cree led bulbs from Canada that use 15w. Why should the market wait for a $1500 led source 4 when they can have energy efficient and less potent fixture for $300??? I appreciate all who comment and am very thankful for each post. I feel like this will help me produce a really good product(from my garage). I never knew that there are more people like myself that love lighting!!!! Control Booth is my new fav. site.

[Note by moderator: Many posts above have been moved here from other threads.]

if you look through the postings you'll find pictures.Hopefully tomorrow I am going to take more pictures that show the use of the gobo. For some reason my posting w/ pics has been added to this etc post????? I'm a lighting garage geek not a LDI Gatecrasher.........I wanted my own post...

Hving spent three years of my life with the accountability for the patent portfolio for a major company the information you have already posted and distributed has probably already eliminated the possibility of patents in a number of countrys. A US. patent is just what it says, a French patent works in France, a U.K. patent in the U.K. Taking out patents is very expensive think $20k plus for each country. Enforcing the patent is another problem altogether.

The issue with LEDs at the moment is that if you want to use a single LED as the light source in a Leko you still cannot get the equivalent lumen output. This fundamental issue has to be conquered.

For some reason my posting w/ pics has been added to this etc post????? I'm a lighting garage geek not a LDI Gatecrasher.........I wanted my own post...

The threads were merged so as to consolidate all like-information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back