New Lex Ever-Grip pin connector

SteveB

Saw this on iSquint.

Lex-Products-EverGrip-Molded-Stage-Pin-300x231.jpg
Lex Products Introduces EverGrip Molded Stage Pin Connector | iSquint.net

Solves one issue of having exposed pins during mating of male plug circuit.

I'd love to get my hands on a few to test the recessed cover concept.

SB

Last edited by a moderator:
From the article:
The new EverGrip Molded Stage Pin Extensions, available in 60 and 100 Amp ratings, contain thermoset resin contact carriers, which resist electrical tracking and can withstand higher temperatures caused by overload or arcing.

Useless to me. Everything I deal with is 20 amp stage pin. :(

I wish they made a 20 amp version too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Must be something the film guys are asking for. Would be too costly for every 20amp connection but really does make sense when you are dealing with the higher amperage.

... I'd love to get my hands on a few to test the recessed cover concept. ...
Minor, but possibly important, point: it's a shroud, not a cover.

The minute it's available in an end user installable form I will buy several.
Use a lot of 60A and 100A pin connectors, do you?

Call me cynical, but I just don't see this catching on. These days, bent pins is seldom an issue, especially >20A. As for "exposed pins during mating," anyone who would hot plug a 50A or greater load deserves a Darwin Award. Shrouded connectors have been tried before without much success. One of the primary reasons the 20A-2P&G has been a standard is its low cost. I can't see an affordable version of the 20A EverGrip Molded Stage Pin Connector ever happening.

Link to Lex Products' Press Release page.

Last edited:
But how am I going to attach them to my wall, floor, and position outlets?

Minor, but possibly important, point: it's a shroud, not a cover.

Use a lot of 60A and 100A pin connectors, do you?

Call me cynical, but I just don't see this catching on. These days, bent pins is seldom an issue, especially >20A. As for "exposed pins during mating," anyone who would hot plug a 50A or greater load deserves a Darwin Award. Shrouded connectors have been tried before without much success. One of the primary reasons the 20A-2P&G has been a standard is its low cost. I can't see an affordable version of the 20A EverGrip Molded Stage Pin Connector ever happening.

Link to Lex Products' Press Release page.

With Derek on this one. These things won't ever make their way into a theatre. Who (besides me) still has 60 amps in their rig? All of ours have a breakout on them that never gets unplugged.

...Who (besides me) still has 60 amps in their rig? All of ours have a breakout on them that never gets unplugged.
Of course your "break-out s", (three-fer s probably) have appropriate branch circuit protection on them, right? http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/26614-6k-dimmers-60a-cables-five-fers.html

-----
... I wonder what fixtures need that much juice...
Some scenic projectors, and 5K and 10K Fresnels, primarily. In olden times, it was common to provide at least one 60A receptacle at each lighting position--a practice which lingers, without much validity, to the present.

In concerts/corporate, I've used 60A just a few times (as said above, for 5K Fresnels), but never a 100A.

Not having used enough 60 and 100 amp Bates connectors, I can't really say how much of an improvement that is. That said, the 2P&G connector is highly robust, and, when installed CORRECTLY, can last for a very long time. Who knows how many old square bodied connectors are still out there in active duty.

It's a pretty neat design and concept, but I think making it in a 20A version would be pointless. Nice, but not entirely necessary. I will agree that it's good for use with distro boxes and higher amperage connections, though. I wonder if it's weather-resistant to any degree.....
Besides, covers on a 20A stagepin interferes with natural selection. :twisted:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back