New Mackie VLZ3 series

soundlight

Mackie had just come out with a new line of the standard VLZ series mixers. I'd be interested to know if they're going to jack up the MSRP at all. Looks like one of the main improvements is new preamps and an extremely low total harmonic distortion. Looks nice.

New Mackie VLZ3 Series Splash

I don't know, I've not had much luck with the VLZ mixers. This new one looks more like a VLZ painted to look like an Onyx. But I would be interested to see how the new preamp compares to the Onyx pre.

And I agree with Evan at PSW, I hate how the aux and EQ are flipped.

Last edited:
That is the one thing that I did notice that I did NOT like.

And I agree with Evan at PSW, I hate how the aux and EQ are flipped.

I reckon that's just because you're not used to it. Cadac consoles have been laid out like this for years, and when you stop to think about it, it makes sense, especially on a large format console. Auxes are typically set once, and then left, whereas you may need to reach for the EQ and tweak it during the show quickly. It's a lot easier when that's down closer to the faders.

Again, on a compact console like the Mackie, it's not as big a deal, but on professional large format consoles, it's the difference between being able to see and reach easily or having to stretch and lean over the console, sometimes even getting up on your toes, height dependent.

Just because it's new doesn't mean it's bad :)

Just because it's new doesn't mean it's bad :)

I've never mixed on a Cadac (yet ;) ), so I can't speak to that. Most of the shows I mix have mons run from FOH, so I'm constantly adjusting the auxs more than the EQ. You're right, I'm just not used to it.

And I wouldn't say it's bad....yet. I'm not a big fan of the original VLZ, having had far too many go down on me before a show. I'd rather have and Onyx or A&H MixWiz for those small gigs. Besides, the Onyx has two more auxs for mons:grin:

A few quick notes.

The new VLZ3 mixers are using the updated Onyx mic pre's and the pricing has stayed the same... NO price increase.

There's now even a built in handle for transporting the units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back