New member from Brooklyn

garyvp

How ya doin?

I have been technical director for the oldest community theater in NYC (Heights Players) for the past 20 years. I don't sing, dance, act or direct and that means that no one at this theater competes with me for my position. We seat 150 (not equity), operate in the basement (9' feet tall) of an old church, do 9 shows a year, and conduct workshops in the summer.

I am very technical, a true geek, and am competent to maintain most of the equipment. I also build most of the sets. We have a pretty good shop and tool set.

We have probably the best equipped tech booth for any community theater in this area - 80 sq feet, correctly lit, good sound and air conditioning. We use NSI dimmers (3 x 9800s) and controllers (I know, I know.... but they were less expensive, suited our needs and technical expertise, and have more queues that the better and more expensive units). I also buy a lot of lighting equipment on EBAY and maintain what what we have (about 90 instruments).

I look forward to perusing the forums.

Garyvp

Welcome to the controlbooth. :)

Lookin' forward to hearing some of your stories and answering some of your questions. Hopefully you will like some of our stories and can answer some of our questions, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back